Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver Screens for Motorhomes - are they worth it ?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was just wondering if the "Silver Screens" for insulating the MH cab are any good.

There seem to be 2 types - the External ones : like these

And the internal ones - like these

Wondering if it's worth getting one, and if which ones would people recommend ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have the internal ones. They fit well and block out light nicely. They may have insulation properties too for heat/cold (I have never noticed).

The advantages I would see with the internal would be that they cant be stolen (the outside ones cant either as you close the door on them unless someone cuts them off!), and that they wont get wet if it rains so you dont need to pack them away while they are wet.

I did contemplate getting a backout blind between the cab and the living area for darkness/privacy but didnt pursue it as i already had the silver screens

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

The outside ones are much better at insulating,they also vastly reduce the amount of condensation in the cab.The internal ones don't seem to do this ,well mine don't:)

Was reading about the original silverscreens couple of weeks ago.I think its the son or nephew is producing a very similar screen using but selling much cheaper. The site is http://www.silverproducts.co.uk/

All the feedback was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was reading about the original silverscreens couple of weeks ago.I think its the son or nephew is producing a very similar screen using but selling much cheaper. The site is http://www.silverproducts.co.uk/
    Yep - saw that. I have mailed them to see how much shipping to Ireland is, and I'm waiting for a reply...
    I'm leaning more towards the external one if it's not too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've only ever used the internal ones which I found great in when it 30 degrees outside. They certainly keep the heat down inside. Wishful thinking I know:D.
    Only negatives I've seen with them is the suction cups need replacing after a few years, they're are a little bulky to store when not in use.
    I found that they tend to be a lot cheaper in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

stapeler wrote: »
    I've only ever used the internal ones which I found great in when it 30 degrees outside. They certainly keep the heat down inside. Wishful thinking I know:D.
    Only negatives I've seen with them is the suction cups need replacing after a few years, they're are a little bulky to store when not in use.
    I found that they tend to be a lot cheaper in France.

Mine roll up in a bag that slots nicely behind the drivers seat in the cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 darmurt

i bought an outside one to block out the sun light in the mornings...it blocks the sun totally...also it is water proof and rain rolls off it .i was told the inside ones have a suction cup that falls off the window when there is heavy condensation..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

I use internal screens,i find they are very effective in cold weather. I have no experience of outside ones, but i do have some experience of very hot weather, and i found that screens on the inside were helped by a "woolen" rug on the outside, this makes it possiable to use the camper during the day. You may also need to put woolen rugs on sky lights (Africa) in very hot weather.May not be of any use to you , but there you go, what do i know. Keep on trucking.:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With our integrated MH and the Irish weather, I haven't really felt the need to go and get silver screens. The curtains round the cab do a pretty decent job at keeping heat in or out.

I have learned however, not to park in such a way that the morning sun will shine directly on the front screen and fry my hungover head in the bed behind straight through the curtain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

DeadlOck - did you ever get a reply from them?
    deadl0ck wrote: »
    Yep - saw that. I have mailed them to see how much shipping to Ireland is, and I'm waiting for a reply...
    I'm leaning more towards the external one if it's not too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi - I never got a reply.

I ended up getting one on eBay.

It is the internal type, and I found it to be excellent during my 2 weeks in France a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

i used to just use curtains, switched to the 8 layer internel one's and find them much better, in this weather (hot)they keep out the heat, at night they seem to block out all light, and mine do seem to reduce condensation in comparison to the curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Not quite tailored to fit - but we picked up a camping/picnic blanket from Lidl last year, with a silvered backing for about €8.. with a bit of persuasion it does the job for us, and acts as a good blackout - and when not on the screen, we use it for picnics.

Chris

Advertisement