Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC & UTV on Analogue in Cork?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm new to the terrestrial scene. I'm living in Cork and can tune in the basic 4 channels (RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TG4). However it was mentioned to me that I might be able to pick up the UK channels (BBCs, UTV etc). I believe it may be South Coast TV (SCTV) who provide the signal. However it is my understanding that SCTV went digital, so I'm guessing it is probably no longer possible to get the channels on a standard UHF ariel.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Location? SC is still beaming out analog but no one seems to know how long that will last. You would be much much better off sticking up a dish and getting lots more channels free such as all ITVs, BBCs, C4s, C5 etc etc for small cost if you are handy with diy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JimBob101

TheDriver wrote: »
    Location? SC is still beaming out analog but no one seems to know how long that will last. You would be much much better off sticking up a dish and getting lots more channels free such as all ITVs, BBCs, C4s, C5 etc etc for small cost if you are handy with diy

Agreed. I was thinking of getting a free-to-air dish which would provide perfect reception. Unfortunately the main user of the TV is not tech minded (really really not tech minded). They could handle switching from channel to channel, but not between terrestrial and satellite. If I could get RTE & TV3 on satellite for free, then I'd switch over in a heartbeat. So for now I want to get as much channels as I can using just the TV remote.

I'm in the mayfield area. I believe SC broadcast from Carrigaline. Would I be able to get a reception? Would I need a booster? What ariel would I need?

Thanks a mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

JimBob101 wrote: »
    Agreed. I was thinking of getting a free-to-air dish which would provide perfect reception. Unfortunately the main user of the TV is not tech minded (really really not tech minded). They could handle switching from channel to channel, but not between terrestrial and satellite. If I could get RTE & TV3 on satellite for free, then I'd switch over in a heartbeat. So for now I want to get as much channels as I can using just the TV remote.

I'm in the mayfield area. I believe SC broadcast from Carrigaline. Would I be able to get a reception? Would I need a booster? What ariel would I need?

Thanks a mill.

Get a combo box. You can mix the sat & dtt channels according as you like in a channel list (ie RTE1 on 1 RTE 2 on 2 etc).

See combo box sticky.

STB wrote: »
    Get a combo box. You can mix the sat & dtt channels

Great idea. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Only one problem that i can think of. As far as I know their not transmitting rte, tv3 and tg4 "reliably" in cork yet. I assume the combo boxes can only combine a digital terrestrial signal with the satellite signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

well rte1,2 tv3 and tg4 are on DTT at the moment (from Spur Hill) anytime I've checked they've been there.

Combo box will do both yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

reliable will come in literally a couple of months so don't spend unnecessarily.
    Even though tech minded she may not be, even my elderly parents learnt the procedure to operate the dvd player, change channels on different boxes, albeit with a written instruction beside it.

syboit wrote: »
    well rte1,2 tv3 and tg4 are on DTT at the moment (from Spur Hill) anytime I've checked they've been there.

Brilliant, thats great news. Any idea how I might check if I have a good enough reception in Mayfield (without buying any expensive equipment)? I have a relatively new Philips TV, but I'm guessing that I would need a digital converter box to watch the channels.

Can anyone confirm that the DTT from spur hill in Cork is reliable? I understand that it hasn't been officially launched yet, so they could be switching it on and off from day-to-day.

Brilliant, thats great news. Any idea how I might check if I have a good enough reception in Mayfield (without buying any expensive equipment)? I have a relatively new Philips TV, but I'm guessing that I would need a digital converter box to watch the channels.

Can anyone confirm that the DTT from spur hill in Cork is reliable? I understand that it hasn't been officially launched yet, so they could be switching it on and off from day-to-day.

Well depending on your TV it might have a dvb-t tuner in (and possibly one with mpeg4) you could plug in a indoor (rabbits ears) type aerial and see if you find anything. There is 5 Tv stations and 4 Radio stations broadcasting on 666mhz.

syboit wrote: »
    you could plug in a indoor (rabbits ears) type aerial and see if you find anything. There is 5 Tv stations and 4 Radio stations broadcasting on 666mhz.

Surely rabbits-ears can't get a strong enough signal from my location - or could they? I'm in Mayfield and the signal is coming from spur hill. I'll give it a try tonight anyway. Thanks.

Surely rabbits-ears can't get a strong enough signal from my location - or could they? I'm in Mayfield and the signal is coming from spur hill. I'll give it a try tonight anyway. Thanks.

Sorry Rabbits ears might not be the correct term :), indoor aerial I seen a buddy of mine get one from lidl recently for €10euro was able to pick up DTT from spur hill using laptop and dvb-t tuner near glenthorne over by dublin hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement