Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full barriers needed on motorway/HQDC verges?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Another spring is nearly past, and another years growth to the trees and planting along our roads is obvious (and in my opinion looks very well on the likes of the N20).

However, with the increasing size of the trees, some right next the roadside, here comes the question. Are crash barriers needed along the full length of our motorway and HQDC verges as a matter of urgency? People have brought up the subject of unprotected signage in places (I think much of it on the N20 for example is in fact behind metal barriers) but even signs with good foundations are surely not even as much a hazard as maturing trees?

Has anyone contacted the NRA about this?

Incidentally, those wire barriers retrofitted along the medians are a joke - they are frequently damaged and sit for weeks, even months in a detensioned state (i.e. as good protection as no barrier). Metal barriers are surely preferable (such as on the N7 Limerick Southern Ring Road which has a narrower but still grass and hedge median).

The elephant in the room is the lack of funding - nevertheless, if this is a serious danger, some money will have to be found rather than simply allowing people to die from going off the edge of hard shoulders on our motorways (not an impossible situation even if the driver is capable - circumstances can be outside someone's control).
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement