Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cat vs The Magpie

Options
  • 07-05-2009 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Please help - at my wits end. Started off quite funny that we noticed our cat having a bit of a spat with a local Magpie. The cat regularly goes out and sits on the garden wall. The Magpie would arrive shortly after and would gradually try to "creep up" on the cat whilst sqawlking at our cat. Now the cat was obviously not happy about this and would reply. We have over the last number of weeks watched several times as these encounters would occur, and to be honest it was a bit funny, at first. Now however, I see the magpie making a beeline for our cat as if he is trying to taunt him. Just this morning I opened my hall door to see where my cat was. He was just across the road and as I looked out, I saw the Magpie dive at him as if to attack. Now, I am an animal lover, but I can see that if it comes to an all out fight, I think the cat is going to come off the loser. How can I stop them at all?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

any chance of a vid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 makemineabud

Absolutely - which would you prefer:
    (a) The cat killing the magpie
    (b) My family eating Roast Magpie & Stuffing

You decide:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I like cats, I've had cats as pets most of my life.

The only cats that seem to suffer magpies are those pampered, Toms so pathetically domesticated they've lost all hunting thoughts.

Stop feeding your cat so much, and maybe he'll make an instinctual play for dinner/magpie.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i agree, the only cats i've had who had magpie problems were our pampered tomcats, all our females and the toms that lived more outdoors than in had no issues with them. our current female chases foxes for fun!

Go way!

she chases foxes?! for real? that's amazing, she's some cat.

Good hunter too I suppose.

• Advertisement

If you lived in my house you'd know that the cat is not pampered at all - neither are the humans! I actually saw this Magpie this morning going in attack mode at my cat. I really am not sure who is going to come off the biggest loser, but dread the Vet's bills if it should be the cat.

Anyway, what constitutes a pampered cat in your world?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

yep, she walks outside and has a mouse in her mouth in minutes :D

she's learned her lesson about bringing them into the house though, she brought a live one in for her kittens once and it went under the couch and she sat there looking very embarrassed while i upended the living room to find it. since then she leaves them on the doorstep nice and dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

We had a cat growing up that climbed up a tree and butchered a magpies nest. All the chicks and then proceeded to wait for the parent birds. Killed one of them too.

After that the cat was attacked by every magpie in the area. They would swoop down and attack in 1s and 2s.

Maybe your cat is "known" to them?

Emmo

If you lived in my house you'd know that the cat is not pampered at all - neither are the humans! I actually saw this Magpie this morning going in attack mode at my cat. I really am not sure who is going to come off the biggest loser, but dread the Vet's bills if it should be the cat.

My world?
    cop yourself on.

A pampered pet is one that *never* goes outside for anything other than a wizz
    A pampered pet is one that *never* hunts.

A pampered cat, is an embarrassment to cats.

That's just my opinion, in my world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Could you maybe make some kind of noise anytime the magpie swoops down?
    T-Square wrote: »
    My world?
    cop yourself on.

A pampered pet is one that *never* goes outside for anything other than a wizz
    A pampered pet is one that *never* hunts.

Okay, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Go way!

she chases foxes?! for real? that's amazing, she's some cat.

Good hunter too I suppose.

Ours as well, a female, she scares the bejaysus out of them, will torment them down the road, 'landing', with her claws on the lower back of one. Very territorial, hates the idea of food being left out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Mod edit.

Quote from the rules
    Advocating causing pain to any animal is a bannable offense.
    (Edit: Let me make that clearer, an example is pellet-guns. They are NOT an instrument designed for animal control and advocating their use on an animal will get you banned. I hope thats clearer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Jaysus...relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The cat would come out on top easy unless its a kitten or a complete wuss.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

okay okay I'll calm down

soz folks!

Anyways, I've seen magpies, they can be aggressive,
    they usually kill smaller birds, I've seen that too.

The only worry about a cat attacking a magpie,
    would be the chance the bird could damage the cats eyes.

You could get yourself a Larsen cage,
    it's basically a cage within a cage.
    In the inner cage you place a small bird,
    the likes of which a magpie would usually kill.
    The magpie fly's in for the kill, and get's captured in the outer cage.
    (Edit: Let me make that clearer, an example is pellet-guns. They are NOT an instrument designed for animal control and advocating their use on an animal will get you banned. I hope thats clearer).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Right you lot need to read the rules.

No more warnings.Anymore animal cruelty and Im going to start issuing infractions or bans.

You could get yourself a Larsen cage,
    it's basically a cage within a cage.
    In the inner cage you place a small bird,
    the likes of which a magpie would usually kill.
    The magpie fly's in for the kill, and get's captured in the outer cage.

Where do you get the small bird?

Wackers :D

You could also try a box held up with a twig tied to a long piece of string.

Simply put some bread under the box, sip tea, and wait for little bird, then pull the string.

The smaller bird is then placed in the cage as bait. It is never harmed.

When you catch the magpies you can then release them far far away from your house and cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

When I was a kid, one of our young cats made the mistake of going up a tree and bothering a magpie's nest. Kitty learned his lesson, he came home with bites and pecks on his throat. The parent bird wasn't messing around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My tom cat is not the slightest bit pampered and I have seen magpies try to attack him.
    In my opinion, it has more to do with the magpie being agressive.

• Advertisement

I agree - I'm convinced the Magpie has issues. Believe me, if he doesn't lay off soon it will definitely be "1 for Sorrow"! (Now where's that pellet gun? ...................):D

I think you guys are underestimating the magpie.

Magpies are very intelligent (for birds), and are extremely curious. They will investigate, harass and generally annoy other animals because they know they have the ability and the awarness to escape any danger most of the time.

I would not put it past magpies that they simply annoy cats for the sheer fun of it.

And coincidentally...as if to back up my above post, I spot this article on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8023295.stm

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Taking it to the vet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

if only they could be like these two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JiJzqXxgxo

this is the BEST video i have ever seen on cats, stick through the first 2 mins and its class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah magpies are quite cheeky little fellas.

If ever my dog has a new bone from the butchers the magpies wont hesitate to swoop down and have a peck at it while his back is turned. All he can do is bark at them as they sit on the wall waiting for their next opportunity.

At least my cat can chase them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

glanman
    if only they could be like these two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JiJzqXxgxo

That's mad! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

I've a few cats, all in at night but out a large amount of the day and all avid hunters - with plenty of success.

I agree, magpies probably do it for fun, and also get a bit defensive the more intrusive the cat is. The cat that is bolshy enough to get up the tree and really 'have a go' seems to get the most magpie threats.

Anyway, the odd time i've seen the cat/magpie thing get a little heated...magpie makes a big racket, cat edges closer, magpie has a go...cat freaks....all i do is go out, clap hands and roar like mad, and the magpie heads off and the cat runs away- embarrassed that it knows me.

So I would say just go out and make a racket (but i know thats not very comforting if you are not around at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

OP, maybe try tying a few plastic bags on the wall? They usually work to deter birds landing in that area....
    I wouldn't blame you for being worried about your cat...the Magpie is a strong and brazen bird.
    Or you could try keeping your cat indoors for 2 weeks or so (you'd have to get a litter tray) when the magpie comes round and there's no sign of the cat day after day it might bog off and find some other creature to harrass. Start letting your cat out when you've noticed the bird's absence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement