Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA bias and teaching

Options
  • 06-05-2009 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what everyone's thought is on this:

I have two friends who graduated with the exact same degree (same grade) and have no h.dip.

The first one found it extremely hard to get subbing hours anywhere.

The second one plays for a county GAA team and got loads of subbing hours.

I have heard of this happening with other people but really saw it for myself with these two. Seems to be a real bias for gaa players when getting a teaching job.

Why is this? And how can they justify doing it. Seems really unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I am just wondering what everyone's thought is on this:

I have two friends who graduated with the exact same degree (same grade) and have no h.dip.

The first one found it extremely hard to get subbing hours anywhere.

The second one plays for a county GAA team and got loads of subbing hours.

I have heard of this happening with other people but really saw it for myself with these two. Seems to be a real bias for gaa players when getting a teaching job.

Why is this? And how can they justify doing it. Seems really unfair.

I wouldn't be surprised at this at all. It is the same in most schools in the western world. In the US being a keen sportsperson - or perhaps more accurately being willing to coach the football or baseball team - is a well known advantage when you go for a High School interview.

I went for interviews last week and was concerned that my lack of a rugby past would undermine me as the schools in question were huge rugby schools. Schools want "team players" and inter-county GAA people are precisely that, which is unfortunate for those of us who have little interest in sport. Schools see well-known sports people on their staff as a significant bonus in terms of prestige. A sporty teacher is also a very good role model. More specifically, perhaps, having an inter-county player on your staff attracts students, just as having one in your business attracts customers. I know national schools are under pressure to employ male teachers in part because the lack of male teachers is having a very negative impact upon the promotion of sport in national schools which is understandably an aim of policy makers and the wider public. In particular the GAA has been concerned at the decline in male teachers as sporting traditions have been broken in schools as a result of this decline.

In consolation, there are many other qualities which a teacher can bring to an interview to give them an edge similar to the inter-county player. In my interviews with the rugby schools they both offered me the PGDE hours based on my academic record and never mentioned sport as it happened. That was what distinguished me. Similarly, IT, drama and music skills, for instance, should benefit a teacher in an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Dionysus wrote: »
    I know national schools are under pressure to employ male teachers in part because the lack of male teachers is having a very negative impact upon the promotion of sport in national schools which is understandably an aim of policy makers and the wider public. In particular the GAA has been concerned at the decline in male teachers as sporting traditions have been broken in schools as a result of this decline.
    Spot on. I don't think it's a bias per se. I think it's just seen that teachers that are actively involved in sports that are played in schools are seen as having those sports as 'skill-sets' that could be passed on to pupils.

I know in my old secondary school, it was the teachers with actual playing experience that coached the school teams. I suppose it helps they don't need to come fresh to sports like some of the people you see in Celebrity Bainisteoir (thinking of John Waters and Andrea Roche here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Definetely counts for something in my opinion. I know having 3 all-Ireland medals worked in my favour, was asked about it in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

It might be interesting to compare bias towards GAA as opposed to other sports and again against other activities (public speaking for example).

But if the only difference between your friends is that one plays for an inter-county team... come on, like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

2 local schools near me - one very sporty and would hire anyone with GAA/sports experience at drop of a hat if they had the vacancy. Other school would grab the teacher with music/art skills - I guess it all depended on the school your friends were apply for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are both male?Male teachers are in the minority and often schools are inclined to hire a man to help gender balance on staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Are both male?Male teachers are in the minority and often schools are inclined to hire a man to help gender balance on staff.

Not to digress too much but does anybody know the proportion of school teachers who are male/female in post primary? (I know there are much more women in primary but not sure of the percentages there either)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its all about having an edge in interviews. I have no interest in sport but do lots of quiz teams etc and that gets me recognised. Its all about how much added value you can bring your teaching, doesn't matter exactly what it is and prestige amongst a school always looks good.
    Not a bias at all though sometimes can be somewhat unfair but such is life. At least we have gone from the who you know from the old days in most places.
    Theres a lot of males at 2nd level, depending on subjects e.g. metal work and woodwork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

it's tue but i don't think it is that unfiar really. loads of people will be qualified with similar degrees/qualifactions so you need something extra you can bring to the school. sports is a massive thing in school so of course they will wanted pp who are interested in sport to coach teams etc. secondary teaching is not just about teaching but what extra qualities you can bring to the school. I have no interest in sport so I do debating in school I put in much more hours that the sports and all out games are out of school hours but that's what gives me the extra edge!

Advertisement