Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boat vs. the Chair

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain why the chair conf. of D-gluopyranose is more stable than the boat conf. I know it has something to with with which side groups being equatorial or axial but other than that I have no idea...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Is is entirely due to steric strain. The compound will assume the conformation which is the least sterically strained. If you create 3d models of the sugar, or try to draw 3d diagrams it should be clear that the form which limits steric clashes between sidechains will be the favored one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

read up on the anomeric effect in sugars

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

If you're looking for information about it you should probably search for "D-Glucose" rather than "D-glucopyranose". They're exactly the same molecule. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A sugar by another name tastes the same and has the same conformation!:p

.....I'll get my coat.

Advertisement