Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to become a Teacher, not sure how to go about it !!

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

I've been working in the Business Sector for many years (15!) and I'm still only in my early 30's! I've done pretty well and am currently on the senior management team in my job. The problem is I'm so fed up with it. I kind of fell into this line of work and being an ambitious person, I did quite well.

I've decided that I need to do something that I will enjoy and being a Teacher is something I have always wanted to do.

However, I have no clue about how I should proceed. I did my LC and although I got ok marks, I didn't do well in Maths and Irish. I'll most likely have to do them again. Question, can I just resist these as stand alone LC exams or do I need to do the entire LC again? Then what do I need to do? Are there any other alternatives to sitting these exams again?

I have an Advanced Diploma in Project Management from the Dublin Business School, but not sure how/if I can use this.

I'm really prepared to put in the time/effort to do this, but I need some help/suggestions on how I progress.

Thanks for listening, Shinny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Do you want to be a primary teacher or a secondary teacher?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you want to be a primary teacher you'll need to work on your Irish, perhaps even repeat leaving cert Irish depending on your grades.

It is a bad time to be looking to get into primary teaching as unemployment is rife ,especially amongst newly qualified teachers. HOWEVER, if it what you want, go for it!

I'd suggest you get some voluntary work with children asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Oops, sorry yes I would most likely want to do Primary Level.

If I needed to resit my Irish again, can I just do that on it's own or do I have to do the whole leaving cert again?

My sis in law is a teacher in youth reach so I could probably look to help out here, to get some experience. When I was in school (6th Class Primary) I often stood in for teachers that were unwell and I loved it even then (I wonder would teachers get away with that now, haha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

You can just repeat Irish alone and contact colleges re; mature student places on 3 year full time BEd undergraduate degree (with Grade C3 in three Higher Level subjects, and a grade D in three other subjects. Essential subjects include: a C on a Higher Level paper in Irish, a C in Ordinary Level or a D on an Higher Level paper in English and a D in Higher or Ordinary Level Mathematics)

or get another degree (any level 8 degree) full or part time and apply for postgraduate teacher qualification-initial 3 or 4 year degree plus further 18 months postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

anoisaris wrote: »
    You can just repeat Irish alone and contact colleges re; mature student places on 3 year full time BEd undergraduate degree (with Grade C3 in three Higher Level subjects, and a grade D in three other subjects. Essential subjects include: a C on a Higher Level paper in Irish, a C in Ordinary Level or a D on an Higher Level paper in English and a D in Higher or Ordinary Level Mathematics)

or get another degree (any level 8 degree) full or part time and apply for postgraduate teacher qualification-initial 3 or 4 year degree plus further 18 months postgrad.

Thanks so much, that has been extremely helpful to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement