Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for dealers?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just a wonder.

How Much Do You Tip The Dealer?

I tip from 0 to 50 E0 from E50 to E100 E1 and 1% of the pot there after. so if its 250 its 2 if its 260 its 3 and so on.

what do you tip if its not to much a nosey qustion. my local hall, dealers say that they can work 20 hours part time and clear 15/16 an hour its a quiet hall 1/2 tables.

just a topic lads if its being done before so be it.

Thanks Rod

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If the pot is over €20 I tip €1. After that, increases are dependent on a few random intangibles. Sometimes I might tip 2 for a 150 pot, sometimes I might tip 1 for a 300 pot, sometimes I might tip 5 for a monkey pot. I almost always tip though, unless I forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I'm prob considered a miserable git but lately I only tip in a very big pot but always leave a decent tip at the desk if I'm leaving in profit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Macspower wrote: »
    I'm prob considered a miserable git but lately I only tip in a very big pot but always leave a decent tip at the desk if I'm leaving in profit....

:eek:

lol, with good reason! tip more for good karma, that's how it works, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

I used to do this but now I prefer to tip each pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

If its chips1234 dealing i`d just wait outside and knock the fcuk outta him:D
    If its a good lookin female dealer she`ll get heaps:D

Seriously though depending on the size of the pot i`d tip accordingly. Normally i just leave a decent tip when cashing out.

• Advertisement

I tip every pot between €30-€100 just €1.

After that, as 5Star said, there are a number of factors which will determine what I tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

depends how drunk i am , dealer can get anything up to €5 for €200 pot off me , depends on how jolly i am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

I dont give much thought to size of tipping but I do always tip after each pot. I never actually tip when cashing out though. Only cos I thought tipping after each pot was enough. Obviously not........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Jayminator wrote: »
    I dont give much thought to size of tipping but I do always tip after each pot. I never actually tip when cashing out though. Only cos I thought tipping after each pot was enough. Obviously not........

I thought it was casue you never cashed out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Jayminator wrote: »

I think it's a personal choice really....it's really one or the other but both would be a bit too generous...

What I found was that between rake and tipping in small pots the game become harder to beat.... SO now I tip in big pots and on cash out if it's been a good night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I tip a minimum 25 euro chip per pot and look down on anyone who tips less, regardless of size of pot tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tipping guarantees you better cards -- FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Tip 1 euro every single pot you win.
    If a dealer got that out of every hand they dealt they would be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Ive never been in a position to tip for a winning hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Should dealers who are shyte be tipped?

Slow looking at tv making mistakes not taking control of the table barking at players?
    some of the messing ive seen lately from dealers makes me not want to tip.

I dunno if all tips are pooled unfair on good dealers as the dregs get a share of theres but logistically would be tough to seperate all tips individuly but id prefer it that way.
    I also prefer irish dealers italian JACK GOOD EXCEPTION some guys and gals look like they just seen there dog been killed before they sat at the table if the jobs that miserable f off and do something else some social skills should be needed not just having half ti t hanging out of a dress thats too small i sound like
    i may come across as a gay racist i am neither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Should dealers who are shyte be tipped?

Slow looking at tv making mistakes not taking control of the table barking at players?
    some of the messing ive seen lately from dealers makes me not want to tip.

I dunno if all tips are pooled unfair on good dealers as the dregs get a share of theres but logistically would be tough to seperate all tips individuly but id prefer it that way.
    I also prefer irish dealers some guys and gals look like they just seen there dog been killed before they sat at the table if the jobs that miserable f off and do something else some social skills should be needed not just having half ti t hanging out of a dress thats too small i sound like

fair point on the poor dealers, but i have to say the guys and gals in my local are fairly good. although i did eat the balls off one one night for not hearing my raise and then proceeding to tell me that my bet didnt count as he didnt hear it. he wasnt long changing his mind with a few harsh words. the 2 players in the hand with me were saying nouth as they wanted to see a cheap turn so i was on my own in the battle and won it, since then or before that i have had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

sickpuppy wrote: »
    I also prefer irish dealers italian JACK GOOD EXCEPTION some guys and gals look like they just seen there dog been killed before they sat at the table if the jobs that miserable f off and do something else some social skills should be needed not just having half ti t hanging out of a dress thats too small i sound like

...What?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

Was sitting chatting to some well known poker players recently and they were trying to convince me that one shouldn't tip after winning €6000 in a tournie, because even though the player won this amount, he hadn't come in the top 3 of the tournament and was on a bad run. As a dealer myself, needless to say I didn't agree.

They also put forward the point that tipping in cash games makes the game harder to beat.
    Although this is true, live poker is a tipping industry and dealers rely on tips as part of their wages. I think €1 would suffice for up to €50 pot, with a little more after. The amount should also be dependent on whether or not the dealer is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

if it's a woman dealer i'll wink at them up to 100 quid after that maybe 2 winks, if it's a guy dealer i'll acknowledge their presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

always use antiperspirant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭DEEP THROAT

nicnicnic wrote: »
    always use antiperspirant

Took it's time...don't forget mints as well

AFAIK all tips are pooled equally amongst the staff ( or not in some shadier establishments:(:( can range from 80% to 0% payout) so the argument about pretty/ lucky/ good/ bad etc is a bit futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

lillou wrote: »

I think €1 would suffice for up to €50 pot, with a little more after.

Not being smart but why more than e1 if the pot is bigger than 50?,what difference does the size of the pot make to the dealer?
    As was said before if dealers got e1 from every pot i'm sure they would be doing very well.What's wrong with this?

I haven't played live cash for quite a while,but was always in the habit of leaving a tip at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

Not being smart but why more than e1 if the pot is bigger than 50?,what difference does the size of the pot make to the dealer?
    As was said before if dealers got e1 from every pot i'm sure they would be doing very well.What's wrong with this?

I haven't played live cash for quite a while,but was always in the habit of leaving a tip at the end of the night.

Just the same as tipping a % in a restaurant, you tip a % in live poker. You wouldn't tip €2 if you spent €200 on a meal.
    Supposed to be 2%, thats just a guide (this is live poker, don't try to tip 2% in restaurants).
    Fair enough to tip at the end of the night instead (although I prefer when people tip each pot as that encourages other people to tip when they win).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I only tip in a very big pot but always leave a decent tip at the desk if I'm leaving in profit....

But do you get the thank you 'double tap' gesture when you give it at the desk. You want to be hearing the double tap really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

for the boys

for the boys

BCB do you mean this post is for boys? were u always a BCB

Rod & Reel wrote: »
    BCB do you mean this post is for boys? were u always a BCB

MAYBE IF I THOU WHAT U SAID WAS RITE U WERE ITS BEING 2 HOURS CHELSEA HAVE LOST MAN U IN FINAL WOHOOOO. AND NOT A SINGLE POSTER TO REPLY TO WHAT I SAID TO YOU.

FAIR ENUFF. NICE PLAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Just the same as tipping a % in a restaurant, you tip a % in live poker. You wouldn't tip €2 if you spent €200 on a meal.
    Supposed to be 2%, thats just a guide (this is live poker, don't try to tip 2% in restaurants).
    Fair enough to tip at the end of the night instead (although I prefer when people tip each pot as that encourages other people to tip when they win).
    I'll remember this the next time I'm in McDonald's.

Is this Lisa btw? if so you don't deserve a tip as you are the cooler queen:p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How many meals do you eat per night in a restaurant?

I never tip at the end of a session for a couple of reasons. The first being that I tip after each pot, the secong being that if I leave it at the counter or with the current dealer, everyone else will think I am a tight fecker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭mormank

mdwexford wrote: »
    Tip 1 euro every single pot you win.
    If a dealer got that out of every hand they dealt they would be very happy.

if the dealer could put this one euro tip into his pocket after each hand an you imagine how much faster the game would get!!

Advertisement