Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever consider PLC colleges?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I am 26 years old and i would like to go back to college sometime. Hopefully september 2010 at the age of 28. I have putting it off for so long cause i didn't really know what i wanted to do. But deep down i always wanted to work with animals. I love them. And i would like to have some kind of qualification. I would love to do veterinary nursing.

I can either go and spend 4 years in college and get a degree or spend 2 years at a PLC. At the end of both courses you get to become a registered veterinary nurse which is all i want really. What is the point of doing 4 years when you can do it in 2? Sure, what is a degree worth during a recession anyway? I have already been to college and got nothing out of it so just the thought of four more years.

If i go back at 28 and do 4 years. I would be 32 finishing. I just feel that life is going too quick for me. I would like to get out and travel a bit and spending 2 years at a PLC college doesn't sound to bad at all, i can still do things. And not to mention the expense of college and the talk of reintroducing fees.

At the moment i am going towards the PLC option. Would i be to old for a PLC course? Am i crazy for even considering a PLC course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

lisajane wrote: »
    I am 26 years old and i would like to go back to college sometime. Hopefully september 2010 at the age of 28.
    Theres nothing to stop you this year! Interviews are in August :)
    I have putting it off for so long cause i didn't really know what i wanted to do.
    I know the feeling, I didn't go to college after secondary. I thought I knew what I wanted, but went down the path of accounts. Had no passion for it at all.
    But deep down i always wanted to work with animals. I love them. And i would like to have some kind of qualification. I would love to do veterinary nursing.
    Then make it happen :)
    Sure, what is a degree worth during a recession anyway? I have already been to college and got nothing out of it so just the thought of four more years.
    The recession won't last forever. No better time to get your head down, and start studying again ;)
    If i go back at 28 and do 4 years. I would be 32 finishing. I just feel that life is going too quick for me.
    I'm 30 and I've applied to just about everything! :D I don't care how long it takes me. I just don't want to be in a job that I hate anymore. I started the "Do I have a chance" thread, and you can basically watch me go through waves of panic trying to get to college :eek: Yesterday I applied for 2 courses in Colaise Dhulaigh. One is a one year, the other a two year. But it will give me a better chance at a degree with DIT or DCU etc. Once I'm even on a PLC I will begin studying exactly what I want, and thats fine with me.
    At the moment i am going towards the PLC option. Would i be to old for a PLC course? Am i crazy for even considering a PLC course?
    No, definitely not. I'm applying as a mature student. Go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Thanks for your post ericka. I see you're in the same position as me. Hating your job. Well, as much as i would love to drop everything this year and go back to college and get out of the place i am in, i can't. Well, i can if i wanted to but i would like to clear my debts and save a bit of money for college. I have been clearing my debts so i am on my way. I certainly don't want the stress of owing money when in college. It's nice to have a bit saved also for something to fall back on also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I'm late 20's and have applied to 3rd level and PLC this year. didn't go to college after school, am sick of working dead end crappy jobs and have no responsibilities so I'm hopefully gonna head back!
    I know how daunting it sounds to think of spending 4 years at college and coming out in your early 30's, but I know people who've done it and I'm around to the idea now that it's better to do it sometime than not at all!
    And maybe in 2 or 4 years the recession session will be over!
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

hi. I did a plc after the leaving cert, in med lab science. Worked for a few years in a lab and am now back in college, doing more science. Will be in me early 30s when i finish. If you think you'll get enough from the plc go for it. Find out if it would get you advanced entry for college, in case you want to go further. Best of luck either way. Ps is that course out in kilester, think i might know some one doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ps is that course out in kilester, think i might know some one doing it.

No its not in kilester. I am aware of that course though. They offer a veterinary assistant course. I am more interested in the veterinary nursing in st.john's college in cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Check out both courses and see if the PLC course will quality to work as a nurse or assistant. Its really up to you which you prefer but the PLC course will probably be more practical and more relevant. I did a PLC course myself, with a year add-on in a university and i preferred the PLC environment much more. I found I learned far more and had more quality time with the tutors. I felt like a number in the university and strangely seemed to know more than the students who had studied with the uni for the past 2 years. It seemed like they had spent the past 2 years studying from a book and were pretty hopeless with the practical stuff. I studied film production and most of the uni crowd couldnt operate a simple camera or use the sound equipment. The PLC students had to take the lead on all projects. If you do decide to study at a university, check out how much time is dedicated to practical work. If you can get a job after the 2 year PLC course then i would go for that. You will only be 30 when you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

lisajane wrote: »

28 isn't too old. I did a PLC course when I was 35. Now I'm 38 and just ending the first year of a degree course. Sometimes the age difference is a bit strange but if its something you really want to do it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yo,
    Check which PLC's have connections to colleges. Some PLC courses offer entry into a college course. PLC courses, I've found, tend to be small (20 people or less) compared to college, thus you gain more from it. I did a IT course in Ballyfermot PLC, and got into a college course in Carlow from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beggo

hey Im wondering if any1 can tell me when abouts PlC courses generally start because I want to see if I can go on holidays with my folks from September 5th-19th

Advertisement