Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Energy Drink for Stomach

Options
  • 05-05-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi All,
    Does anyone have any recommendation for an energy drink that is kind to your stomach.

I don't have a great stomach anyway, but I've been using "High Five Energy Source" (red and white one) since I've started back and it leaves me in bits that night and the next day. Kind of like this guy :eek:

I remember using SIS before, but it's not as easy to get hold of.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

High 5 "4:1 endurance" for me, no ill effects in over a year of use. Powerbar drink doesn't agree with me though - I really think it's each to their own on this one - trial and error..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I remember using SIS before, but it's not as easy to get hold of.

Science In Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

+1 With the High5 4:1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

kenmc wrote: »
    High 5 "4:1 endurance" for me, no ill effects in over a year of use. Powerbar drink doesn't agree with me though - I really think it's each to their own on this one - trial and error..

which is the best flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Im OK with High Five 4:1 too, but Powerbar gives me gas and stomach cramps.
    Before you change brands make sure everything else is OK.
    For example is there anything else in your diet that might be contributing to the problem.
    The following works for me.
    Drink plenty of water every day to maintain an acid free stomach. (Urine should be clear). Try to get your carbs from natural, spice free sources like potatoes, pasta, rice, porridge,fruit etc. I find milk is great to line the stomach before a spin.
    For on the bike carbs try bringing a banana, apple, cereal bar. Avoid the cakes, chocolate, sweets, energy bars until you get to the root of the problem. You can make a simple energy drink from water and sugar (add a pinch of salt in hot weather or if you are prone to cramps). After taking a drink on the bike sit up for a minute or so to help it move through the system. If your spins are less than 2 hours maybe just bring water and a banana. Try to keep tea and coffee intake to a minimum or substitute with a hot cereal drink like Barley Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I find the Torq products very good, light on flavour and sicklie-ness (is that a real word?) but good fuel. The bars are waaay easier on the tumbly than the other equivalents I've found.

Used to use the Hi5 stuff but found it harsh and that it gave a huge sugar spike and then crash
    afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

but Powerbar gives me gas and stomach cramps.

Actually thanks for that. I get awful bloated after eating them on a cycle.
    I thought that it was the way I gulped down water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Cadburys flake and water - good as any energy drink.:D

xz wrote: »
    Summer berries is the only one I've used, quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

xz wrote: »

i've summer fruit, only one i've used of it, tastes kinda like bubble gum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

The orange is alright. Although I probably prefer the berry one.

They taste like muck if you mix them weaker than the correct ratio - i.e. 1 scoop in 750ml instead of 2.

isn't it 2 in 500ml? so should be 3 in 750.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I use Carborocket, which I'm a big fan of, as well as Nuun tablets. Both are very gentle on the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Maybe try drinking peppermint tea daily to improve general stomach health?

Works wonders for me in reducing acid. I had huge stomach problems a few years ago, all sorts of tests done. You really need to try and improve overall stomach health - these energy drinks shouldn't have such an effect...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭jimshady101

I personally use Reflex Edge, great drink. Orange is the best flavour. Mixes very well, very light on the stomach and tastes really nice. My bro who is ranked number 2 in country is an athlete also uses the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

kenmc wrote: »
    isn't it 2 in 500ml? so should be 3 in 750.

Maybe on the 4:1 that's the ratio.

I use the isotonic one in the summer and it's 2 scoops to 750ml

Advertisement