Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours quarrel with my tenants

Options
  • 05-05-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,
    Let me go back to the start.
    In feb 08 I decided to leave my home and instead of selling, I decided I’d rent my house out. With a stroke of luck my cousin said she was interested. Her and her boyfriend moved in with their child…also she was expecting at the time. Everything going great, not even a whiff of any sort of problems….house still looking good and they even tidied up my back garden which is quite big by putting trellis fencing the whole way around it at no cost to me, the house is being lived in as well as I would hope for.

Well right out of the blue 2 weeks ago, a neighbour called with me to vent their anger at the supposed noise, arguing, partying and wrecking that has been going on in my house since they moved in…explaining a couple of incidents where my cousin/her boyfriend must’ve been trying to kick through the back door….him driving off drunk in the middle of the night…and a few other incidents which basically I believe are none of their business.

This is the thing, my cousin and her b/f are very quiet…the child they had in autumn has cystic fibrosis. This is a couple who have been under immense pressure as the child came close to death on three occasions. I have now also been told that the police received a phone call (from a neighbour) because my cousins dad parked his car up on the footpath in front of the house….which is getting in no-ones way. Now wait to you hear this….my cousin has since told me that her dad and this neighbour had a disagreement about something prior to them moving in. it seems that the neighbour now has it out for this young couple and their family.

What can I do, as it appears this situation could escalate ? theses neighbours are almost trying to harrass them out of the house all because he has some fallout with my cousins dad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tell the neighbour to ring the gurads if there is a problem. I'm sure from what you said they won't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

….him driving off drunk in the middle of the night…and a few other incidents which basically I believe are none of their business.

No opinion on the rest, but him driving off drunk is certainly everybody's business, and especially the person's who will get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Hi,
    Let me go back to the start.
    In feb 08 I decided to leave my home and instead of selling, I decided I’d rent my house out. With a stroke of luck my cousin said she was interested. Her and her boyfriend moved in with their child…also she was expecting at the time. Everything going great, not even a whiff of any sort of problems….house still looking good and they even tidied up my back garden which is quite big by putting trellis fencing the whole way around it at no cost to me, the house is being lived in as well as I would hope for.

Well right out of the blue 2 weeks ago, a neighbour called with me to vent their anger at the supposed noise, arguing, partying and wrecking that has been going on in my house since they moved in…explaining a couple of incidents where my cousin/her boyfriend must’ve been trying to kick through the back door….him driving off drunk in the middle of the night…and a few other incidents which basically I believe are none of their business.

This is the thing, my cousin and her b/f are very quiet…the child they had in autumn has cystic fibrosis. This is a couple who have been under immense pressure as the child came close to death on three occasions. I have now also been told that the police received a phone call (from a neighbour) because my cousins dad parked his car up on the footpath in front of the house….which is getting in no-ones way. Now wait to you hear this….my cousin has since told me that her dad and this neighbour had a disagreement about something prior to them moving in. it seems that the neighbour now has it out for this young couple and their family.

What can I do, as it appears this situation could escalate ? theses neighbours are almost trying to harrass them out of the house all because he has some fallout with my cousins dad

Do nothing and tell your cousin not to worry as the only thing the garda can do is tell them to be quiet if they are actually being noisy.

You're neighbour sounds like a pain in the bum, feck them there's nothing they can do people are entitled to have parties, fight, scream within their own home. stick with your cousin and tell your neighbour to wear ear plugs and to mind their own business. alternatively you could suggest they move lol.

i hate neighbours like that busy bodies with nthing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snapplejacks

herya wrote: »
    No opinion on the rest, but him driving off drunk is certainly everybody's business, and especially the person's who will get hit.

agreed on that....
    no matter what hell this couple went through at the time there is no excuse for this and they did admit this to me.

its like every noise they make i think this neighbour is exaggerating it. my cousin and boyfriend have said they've argued certainly but she also screamed for help when her child turned blue a few times. the neighbours also tried to imply that my cousins boyfriend was maybe beating her...this is also just not true...a lot of this stuff they're saying is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tell your neighbours to f off and mind their own business. Who the hell are they to be interfering in anyone else's private lives.

Do they not have a few drinks, invite some friends over, have arguments like any other human being.

If the want to live next to Buddists tell them to f off to Tibet.

In short, if they have genuine problems they can ring the cops.

Unless they want to live on a commune they have to respect that people have neighbours and neighbours have lives- get used to it. Gimps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

agreed on that....
    no matter what hell this couple went through at the time there is no excuse for this and they did admit this to me.

its like every noise they make i think this neighbour is exaggerating it. my cousin and boyfriend have said they've argued certainly but she also screamed for help when her child turned blue a few times. the neighbours also tried to imply that my cousins boyfriend was maybe beating her...this is also just not true...a lot of this stuff they're saying is just crazy.

In fairness you aren't there when they are arguing so have no idea what their behaviour is like. The one thing you are sure has happened is more than enough to annoy a neighbour. Personal issues are some what excusable but I don't know if they know of those problems.

If these neighbours were an issue before your cousin moved in it would at least follow on they remained the same. As you have described it it sounds like the problem arrived with your cousin not the neighbour. You have no idea what they are behaving like one way or the other and are assuming the neighbour is in the wrong. If your cousin is in anyway disrupting the neighbour I think it is unfair to side with your cousin as the neighbour has the right to a peaceful life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

You're neighbour sounds like a pain in the bum, feck them there's nothing they can do people are entitled to have parties, fight, scream within their own home.

No so. The neighbour can bring the OP to court for excessive noise by the cousin

i am very sure that 99% of the time my tenants are a good living normal couple ( ican say that with hand on heart)...one or two things have maybe spiralled with the stress that they found themselves under due to a v ill baby. no young couple can cope easy with this.

BUT. as i also say i believe the ill-feeling from the neighbours stems back to an incedent from before my tenants moved in and the neighbours ill-feeling towards my tenants father is now being directed towards my tenant. surely that is not fair and if it continues it could lead anywhere.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

445279.ie wrote: »
    No so. The neighbour can bring the OP to court for excessive noise by the cousin

For what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

i am very sure that 99% of the time my tenants are a good living normal couple ( ican say that with hand on heart)...one or two things have maybe spiralled with the stress that they found themselves under due to a v ill baby. no young couple can cope easy with this.

BUT. as i also say i believe the ill-feeling from the neighbours stems back to an incedent from before my tenants moved in and the neighbours ill-feeling towards my tenants father is now being directed towards my tenant. surely that is not fair and if it continues it could lead anywhere.

You may be sure but you are only basing this on what you know of the people and are excusing their behaviour due to stress where you know it was wrong. Get it out of your head that just because you believe something is true makes it so and realise the objective is to stop the arguments and don't take sides. Young couples often deal with stress without disturbing neighbours or drink driving and as such it is not excusable behaviour

You could be right about why there is ill feeling but the point is you don't actually know. As the neighbours are likely to be in the house longer than your cousin I would suggest you try to sort it out. You are responsible as the landlord for your tenants disruptive behaviour which you admit there was one and hint there may have been more.

• Advertisement

Kipperhell wrote: »
    You could be right about why there is ill feeling but the point is you don't actually know.

I AM right. I actually know the full detail of the incident which happened before my tenants moved in. I was told about it before my cousin moved in as well. At that stage though we did not think the neighbour was then going to direct their ill-feeling towards my tenants, there is absolutely no reason for this...it is bordering on harrassment.

If i receive another complaint then it will be time to tell them to sort it out with the tenant by whateve means they propose (they did threaten to get police, council and social services involved...although i fully believe that to be an empty threat only given to maybe make me force them out)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can the landlords / local authorities be brought to court, I had assumed (and can't see otherwise) that only the persons making the noise could.

Advertisement