Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busier than usual last weekend ?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Was it my imagination or was it particularly busy last weekend ? I know it was a bank holiday, but we were in Rathdrum and he was turning people away from Saturday afternoon. I've never seen the place that busy.

I'm just wondering if this is standard for bank holidays or whether this is some sort of indication that loads more people are holidaying at home this year.

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Yeah, I was in Glendalough over the weekend and the place was awash with cars and a large number of camper vans:confused::):)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Was up in Co Down over the weekend and I reckon that I met the entire Irish fleet of Campervans on the N11, M50 M1 route.......on the back of the recession, I think they are calling the new trend "staycation" where people stay in Ireland for holidays instead of going on "vacation" abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Hi Zagmund,

Was in Rathdrum too - must get a big sign for the front of the van with the "handle on it".

Yes it was mad busy. We were there at Easter and wasn't as bad. Seems from talking to some of them, the recession is getting more people under canvas especially.

We going to make sure we have bookings confirmed for the summer season if that's the way it's heading.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Hiya zoltar_boi - yeah, I definitely thought that there were loads more tents around this weekend than before. He had tents over on the 'island' as usual but also loads around the back around some of the hard standings.

Now, if he can only get the hot water working and get the drainage sorted the place would be perfect. Oh, and move Rathdrum village down the hill so that it's not such a hike to get to the shops. And get the sun to shine all Summer too.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

You said it. The hot water was fine on Friday / Saturday. It only failed on Saturday night (when did you arrive!!!:D) I've also spent the day googling for waste pipe extensions so I can drain down the next time I'm there.

I was down the back where the tents were, and there were some large extended families there in tents. I was also talking to one of the "islanders" who told me that Barry was making sure that they didn't get rowdy.

A great weekend was had by all - apart from that hill - at least the Chinese delivers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement