Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

String quartet for reception

• 05-05-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations in the Dublin area? I have googled a bit and groups I have contacted are way outside our budget, charging upwards of E600 for 2 hours, which I think is alot. Or am I being unrealistic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

600 seems reasonable to me. 600/4 = 150 each, say €50 per hour & €50 travel per person? Given the years of practice musicians have put in, not to mention the lessons that were paid for, 50 per hour seems ok?

However, I understand that you're paying out left right and centre for a wedding, a cheaper alternative might be to get some music students? Where are you based? If there is a university with a music degree locally that might be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Good idea, I'll check out music colleges in the area. Thanks for the suggestion.

I dont think factoring in travel and their music lessons is a reasonable way to look at their charges. I dont charge my employers for my travel expenses to and from work and there are not alot of people out there these days earing E75 per hour, even professionals who also studied/trained for years. But I take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

not sure I'd agree with you there homeowner. When I go to my office I don't charge for expenses but if I work off site then I do, and I don't have to lug a cello about :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The other consideration is the price of the instruments (which you are effectively hiring) which can easily be €5-10k

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BláthnaidK

Hi,
    I play in a string quartet, and we all live in Dublin! :D Each of us have plenty of experience also..When are you having the reception?? Let me know if you're interested!

• Advertisement
Advertisement