Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when the new iphone arrives..

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

just wondering..when the new iphone comes out, is it most likely that for the first 6 months or so that it will only be available on a bill pay option, or is it likely both bill and prepay will be available from the start?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Given that O2 probably make more on the billpay, the cynic in me would say it would be almost a given that it will be billpay only.

I've resigned myself to the fact that in these recessionary times, I can't justify €45 a month on a toy, so it may be some time before I get my hands on the new model. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I hope they don't but in my gut I know they will. I've got the first gen, £35 a month and I'd like to get the 3rd gen, and get pay as you go, but I think that would be too good to be true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Given that O2 probably make more on the billpay, the cynic in me would say it would be almost a given that it will be billpay only.

I've resigned myself to the fact that in these recessionary times, I can't justify €45 a month on a toy, so it may be some time before I get my hands on the new model. :(

not worried about what 02 do, just wondering in general...ill be pickin up an unlocked one in Italy so was hoping it would be available there on prepay as soon as its launched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Any chance of O2 losing the Apple deal?

Also with Vodafone - and their plans are much better value than O2!

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Any chance of O2 losing the Apple deal?

Also with Vodafone - and their plans are much better value than O2!

actually i met a girl in a pub that is the manager of a 3 store. This was about 6 months ago...she told me that there would be a new iphone on the way in June and that 3 were planning on having it...

probably crap but just thought id throw that into the mix..

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    actually i met a girl in a pub that is the manager of a 3 store. This was about 6 months ago...she told me that there would be a new iphone on the way in June and that 3 were planning on having it...

probably crap but just thought id throw that into the mix..

I'd say that is incredibly unlikely, due to the amount of money O2 have invested in the iPhone and associated marketing.

Remember, O2 only have it the past year and a bit, I doubt they would lose it after a 1.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The AT&T exlusivity deal in the USA is up this year, all these exclusivity deals were made around the same time when the iPhone 2g launched, so presumably those deals are up for reneual this year. Verizon in the US are meant to be getting it so maybe it will apply to other markets getting it.

3 (here) would be quite hesitant to get it seeing as none of their planet 3 services would work on the handset, but seems a good choice for apple. Meteor will definately not be getting it (due to lack of 3g), Vodafone is a possibility but they wouldnt put it on a network competing with Android so bet bet would be 3 if it does come here.

I don't think it's a bad deal at all on o2 at the moment, just the right amount of texts (inc webtexts), minutes and data for me for €45 a month. I pay €50 a month with Meteor for no 3g, too little texts and too much minutes, so i'm definately going to move to o2 when my contract is up.

Does anyone remember the offer about Carphone Warehouse where you can trade phones in and get money off a new handest? Would this still apply to an iPhone when purchasing on Bill Pay? Also does anyone know how long it took for 02 to get the iPhone 3g after the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thing I don't like about O2 tariffs - is that Voicemail is not free (included in your minutes) but more to the point you cannot carry over unused minutes to the next month! Some months you use more minutes than others!

Apple must be a bit p*ssed off that O2 never bothered making moves to implement Visual Voicemail

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd say that is incredibly unlikely, due to the amount of money O2 have invested in the iPhone and associated marketing.

Remember, O2 only have it the past year and a bit, I doubt they would lose it after a 1.5 years.

Unless its the "iPhone Nano" thats being talked about, different from the updated iphone that would allow them to supply different carriers. I wouldn't think Apple would give a flying flip how much O2 spent on it, more how restrictive it has been, making it an O2 exclusive.
    Personally I can't see them dropping O2 this year, but next year if there's any truth in Apple talking to Verizon about 2010. I'd love the iPhone, but I'll get an E71 or 5800 rather than be held to ransom by O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know how long it took for 02 to get the iPhone 3g after the US?

The iPhone 3G came out the same day worldwide. Strictly speaking we got it before the US if you take into account the time difference :D

• Advertisement

The AT&T exlusivity deal in the USA is up this year, all these exclusivity deals were made around the same time when the iPhone 2g launched, so presumably those deals are up for reneual this year. Verizon in the US are meant to be getting it so maybe it will apply to other markets getting it.

Are you sure about that? I thought Verizon was CDMA, not GSM? I can't see Apple releasing a CDMA version of the iPhone, while the rest of the world is on GSM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AT&T is up next year - they're supposed to be in talks at the moment to extend to 2011.

"USA Today revives rumors that Apple is considering bringing the iPhone to Verizon's network as early as 2010. According to "people familiar with the matter," high-level discussions were initiated between Apple and Verizon a few months ago and are continuing. AT&T is presently the exclusive carrier for Apple's iPhone, but that exclusivity expires in 2010."

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

What's new about the new iphone? Considering getting one but if there's a new model coming I'll hold off

adrem wrote: »
    What's new about the new iphone? Considering getting one but if there's a new model coming I'll hold off
    Supposedly:
    • Improved battery life*
    • Light Video Editing*
    • Secondary video camera with iChat app
    • 5mp/3mp camera
    In the Beta so more or less confirmed:
    • Voice Notes
    • Video Recording Facilities *
    • Spotlight search across apps, contacts, emails etc
    • Increased number of Apps on the homescreen
    • MMS Messages*
    the *'d ones are ones as far as I know will only be in the New iPhone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Supposedly:
    • Improved battery life*
    • Light Video Editing*
    • 5mp/3mp camera
    • Voice Notes
    • MMS Messages*
    No FM radio, then?

It's the one feature I'd upgrade for. But since I can't until Jan of next year - I'd be delighted if they didn't include it!

Dades wrote: »
    No FM radio, then?

It's the one feature I'd upgrade for. But since I can't until Jan of next year - I'd be delighted if they didn't include it!

Seeing as they make money charging for music, free radio doesn't really suit Apple

No FM radio, then?

There's plenty of streaming apps that give you access to FM radio, so I wouldn't see it as a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Supposedly:
    • Improved battery life*
    • Light Video Editing*
    • 5mp/3mp camera
    • Voice Notes
    • MMS Messages*

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you sure about that? I thought Verizon was CDMA, not GSM? I can't see Apple releasing a CDMA version of the iPhone, while the rest of the world is on GSM.
    They are, but they are building a new HSDPA network IIRC.

adrem wrote: »
    thanks for that

No probs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

Originally Posted by Dades
    No FM radio, then?

I Use the All radio App its great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Supposedly:
    • Improved battery life*
    • Light Video Editing*
    • 5mp/3mp camera
    • Voice Notes
    • MMS Messages*
    Maybe you have that the wrong way around? MMS will definitely be available on the old iPhone with the OS 3.0 upgrade. Obviously you can't upgrade the camera (or add a second camera) with a software upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe you have that the wrong way around? MMS will definitely be available on the old iPhone with the OS 3.0 upgrade. Obviously you can't upgrade the camera (or add a second camera) with a software upgrade.

I was going to point that out myself those are features of the 3.0 beta and the video recording can be done on jailbroken phones to some extent

seamus wrote: »
    Rob_l wrote: »
    I was going to point that out myself those are features of the 3.0 beta and the video recording can be done on jailbroken phones to some extent

Yes these features are available in jailbroken phones. I don't think they are going to allow MMS on the old iphones (to encourage people to upgrade) and Video recording will be new iPhones only because it saps battery life (hence the expected battery life coming with the new iPhone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Yes these features are available in jailbroken phones. I don't think they are going to allow MMS on the old iphones (to encourage people to upgrade) and Video recording will be new iPhones only because it saps battery life (hence the expected battery life coming with the new iPhone)

By the older phones do you mean the 1st gen?
    If so your right mms wont be there for them but it will be available in the limited form apple give for 3G(ie it wouldn include video messaging)
    Apple also announced over 100 new features that will be available to iPhone and iPod touch users this summer including cut, copy and paste; MMS;*

*MMS messaging is available only on iPhone 3G; fees may apply. MMS may not be available in all areas.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/03/17iphone.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

No FM radio, then?

FM transmit and receive is rumored to be in the new phone and MMS will be available in the iPhone 3G's

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/04/07/new-iphone-to-feature-fm-transmission-n-class-wi-fi.html

It also supposedly has a better screen (OLED anyone? :) )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's plenty of streaming apps that give you access to FM radio, so I wouldn't see it as a necessity.
    dblennon wrote: »
    I Use the All radio App its great!!
    Great as the apps are I'd love to avoid all the messing with buffering, crashing (yes YOU WunderRadio!) etc. just to have a freakin' FM radio.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

The OP may be certain that the new iPhone will be available on pre-pay straight away and unlocked.

Italians do not like contracts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Delighted to note that France24 have now released an actual app for the iPhone (as opposed to just a dedicated site) which no longer just shows bulletins but actual live TV. Wish many other stations could equally get their act together.

In the case of France24, you may choose French, English or Arabic to watch the news.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    The OP may be certain that the new iPhone will be available on pre-pay straight away and unlocked.

Italians do not like contracts.

hey Cula long time no see, hows tricks? Was the current iphone 3g available prepay from the start in Italy?Or did it follow some time after bill pay was available like here?

Advertisement