Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty Virus/Spyware problem - please help!

Options
  • 05-05-2009 9:49am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My dad's pc has got some nasty piece of spyware or a virus. It flashes up a message saying "Your computer is infected" and if you click it, its brings you to a website trying to get you to buy their software. I've tried AdAware and Spybot and anotehr one, its still there.

Can anyone recommend a good tool to get rid of this dam thing its now making the computer go crazy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can you run the tools in the sticky at the head of the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

Zascar wrote: »
    My dad's pc has got some nasty piece of spyware or a virus. It flashes up a message saying "Your computer is infected" and if you click it, its brings you to a website trying to get you to buy their software. I've tried AdAware and Spybot and anotehr one, its still there.

Can anyone recommend a good tool to get rid of this dam thing its now making the computer go crazy!

you have a browser hijacker virus ,google for Hijack this Read the info you find. Its complicate to get rid off this hijack virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

I had a similar problem and couldnt access boards, facebook and hotmail (all the sites i use regulary!!:D) I used Search and Destroy. Its Free and from what i gather their base is in Dublin. Problems seem to have vanished and its working so much faster(touchwood!!). i am so happy im considering making a donation...

worth a try!!:pac:

Oh, sorry i think you said you used it before (spybot) but make sure you use the correct version suitable for you application. I believe it makes the difference. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I have the same problem, its called Malware Catcher 2009. I have tried my usual AVG scan and Search and Destroy and still can't get rid of it. Any one any ideas PLEASE.

• Advertisement

Managed to clear it. I used this
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Might be of use to anyone else that gets the same virus

jos28 wrote: »
    Managed to clear it. I used this
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Might be of use to anyone else that gets the same virus

You mean the software that they tell you to use in the sticky? :D
    Zascar wrote: »

Follow the instructions in this stickied thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

I wish I'd read it before I started messing about.

You mean the software that they tell you to use in the sticky? :D

What ?? You mean that people actually read stickies !!:eek:

Advertisement