Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to check before going to France ?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and herself are heading to France this June (hopefully swine flu won't be an issue by then) and I was wondering what are the things on the Motorhome I need to check ? i.e. What do the Frenchies check the MH for when I disembark ?
    Do I need an "IRL" sticker ?
    We have a LHD MH, but should I still have to check the front lights - I've read that sometimes you have to put special stickers on them to change/block the
    beam direction ?
    Also - is there other legal requirements that I need to be aware of ?

I'm sorry if this is noddy stuff, but I haven't a clue as we've only used the MH in Ireland so far.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

A spare set of bulbs and an IRL sticker is a requirement and I think a hi-viz vest is a requirement for each passenger.
    Beam benders are available from most motor factors.
    Also handy is a European Heath insurance card , details here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Beam benders are available from most motor factors.
    How do I know if I need these ?
    The Motorhome is already LHD, so it could be that the lights are already correct, but I don't know how to check this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

deadl0ck wrote: »
    The Motorhome is already LHD, so it could be that the lights are already correct, but I don't know how to check this....
    Unless you have had the lights readjusted yourself it is unlikely that they have been. As the MH is LHD you should be ok. You can check the adjustment by looking to see whick way the beams are pointing when the lights are on. In your case they should be towards the right hand side (as you look forward).

Along with the other things mentioned you need to have a warning triangle and a first aid kit too. Normally this info comes with your ferry tickets. Check the leaflets that they have sent you. I noticed that there is also a section in the back of the Alan Rogers guide with travel and driving tips.

The easiest way is to park facing a wall with lights on. The beams should be shifting off to the right if they're already set for Europe. Typically they should be shifting light to the side of the road that you're driving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The IRL stickers are not required provided you have standard Irish EU plates.

• Advertisement

stapeler wrote: »
    The easiest way is to park facing a wall with lights on. The beams should be shifting off to the right if they're already set for Europe. Typically they should be shifting light to the side of the road that you're driving on.

Glad we both said the same thing!!

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The IRL stickers are not required provided you have standard Irish EU plates.

Good. I have a "D" sticker on mine from the previous owner in Germany!!

*Kol* wrote: »

Shame on you...Go out and promote your Irishness :D:D

Thanks for all the info guys !! :D

Does anybody know any Scottish requirements for a forthcoming trip to Edinbugh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

stapeler wrote: »
    Does anybody know any Scottish requirements for a forthcoming trip to Edinbugh..

WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Deadlock, as you drive a LHD,unless you have changed the glass lenses on your lights they will be in the standard European mode,you most lightly need beam benders to drive in Ireland,but not many people with LHD seem to bother.And of course you need all of those items already mentioned, but what do I know. Happy camping :D:D

loobylou wrote: »
    WD40

What about a kilt?????????? :D:D:D

Do I need to be very aware of the vehicle weight and the 3.5 tonne restriction on my licence ?

I don't know the exact weight of our MH...
    Should I find out, and do I need to have a cert or something to prove it ? Just I heard that they can be sticky about this on the continent....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Do I need to be very aware of the vehicle weight and the 3.5 tonne restriction on my licence ?

Height no problem, although you do have to "declare" it when booking the ferry.
    Gross vehicle weight is taken much more seriously on the continent then here though. Police checkpoints may have a mobile scales for weighing vehicles and some (all?) tollbooths on motorways in France will incorporate a weighbridge. This is more for charging the correct toll but there is usually a significant police presence at these toll stations so I would'nt like to take a chance.
    I have heard anecdotally of passengers being forced to disembark and travel seperately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would cover that with an IRL sticker even though the IRL is on the numberplate. I had some slightly hostile reactions in France and particularly in UK when I left my "D" sticker on my previous van (aahh, good old Karmann), even with Irish numberplates. Maybe it was my imagination but the reaction seemed to go away when I covered the "D" up with a camper club sticker.

I have never had a check of any kind in over twenty years,in any European country. But maybe I've been lucky.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi
    Going to collect our new motorhome in Germany 2moro and back through France. Anything else one should know re France as have done no prep at all...Help. Flying 7am 2moro morning, so time limited!
    Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

errr ,,, drive on the right.... but seriously:
    bring music - eg ipod + FM transmitter
    load up on wine in France - about 1/3 Irish price - if ya don't you'll regret it - maybe not today but tomorrow, and for the rest of your life.....
    if you need emergency bedclothes - IKEA do quite cheap duvets and sleeping bags. They also do great cheap and good quality kitchen gear etc.
    remember the GPS and charger
    the shop on board Brittany Ferries was not bad and not very overpriced (or are you coming via UK?)
    Load up your POI's from gps-team or whoever - you can get all French supermarkets, aires, campsites, petrol stations, free wifi points etc

French and german phrase books

Carrefour and LEclerc had decent looking mens and womens mountain bikes for 105 euro and up. L'Eclerc had an electric assisted bike too - very neat looking - dunno price.

The French are so into campervans I'm sure their accessory shops must be good - never had time to go look for one though.

As it's a new van (or is to you) you will be missing all the useful bits like mains connecting cable, etc - maybe you could lean on the dealer for some stuff from the back of the shop..... you have to live for 8 days before you get home to the stuff you have carefully gathered over the years!

MediaMarkt chain in most German cities are good for car radio and TV stuff (but maybe hold off on that until our digital network gets sorted)

Most French hypermarkets and big supermarkets have 24 hour fuel pumps that take credit cards and Pass/Maestro - despite reports to the contrary I used my credit card no problem at Super U last week.Price is much the same as here - 96c for diesel in hypermarkets, 106 in small towns and on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Lidl have hi-vis vests, warning triangles etc in next week. If you are travelling to France you will need these and they are much cheaper than anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Well we're off tomorrow for 2 weeks round France :D
    We have nothing booked, so we're just playing it by ear.

We (hopefully) have all our bits and pieces that we need!!

I'll report back in 2 weeks or so !

Advertisement