Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare credits

Options
  • 05-05-2009 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hello all i am getting unemployment assitance for myself and my partner i collect for her as a adult dependent but she also has to sign for credits for herself my question is does she have to sign for them even if she doesnt want to

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

deccon wrote: »
    hello all i am getting unemployment assitance for myself and my partner i collect for her as a adult dependent but she also has to sign for credits for herself my question is does she have to sign for them even if she doesnt want to

What are credits???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

when you're not working and you're not getting the dole, you sign on for credited PRSI contributions.

It's to help maintain your eligibility to Jobseeker's Benefit.

Xiney wrote: »
    when you're not working and you're not getting the dole, you sign on for credited PRSI contributions.

It's to help maintain your eligibility to Jobseeker's Benefit.

Ahhh. I never signed on for those, I never even knew they existed.

As it happens, in my case, I wanted to get off the system for a bit. So it wouldnt have mattered I guess.

Thanks Xiney!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Always sign for your credits. It keeps up your optical, dental and can even be used for your pension.

Always sign!

dresden8 wrote: »
    Always sign for your credits. It keeps up your optical, dental and can even be used for your pension.

Always sign!

Of course, you are correct. I am not Welfare-Oriented. I prefer to scratch around on my own. The economic reality of today has forced me back into the loop. I am not ashamed, just not familiar with the system, by choice.

What can I do? Lives and learns dont ya!

I have gone ahead and claimed for the Jobseekers Allowance now....do I let that run its course, or what?

Thanks for your advice, Dresden.:cool:

• Advertisement

IT Loser wrote: »

I have gone ahead and claimed for the Jobseekers Allowance now....do I let that run its course, or what?

Thanks for your advice, Dresden.:cool:

As long as you sign you'll automatically get your credits.

If you ever get means assessed and you're not due a payment, continue to sign for credits, if they don't tell ask.

And, no probs!

As long as you sign you'll automatically get your credits.

If you ever get means assessed and you're not due a payment, continue to sign for credits, if they don't tell ask.

And, no probs!

I should be due a payment though, once I get means assessed, right?

Depends. Are you working? Are you married/co-habiting? Is the missus working? Are you under 25 living at home with working parents?

Lots of questions, that only you and the exchange can answer.

Depends. Are you working? Are you married/co-habiting? Is the missus working? Are you under 25 living at home with working parents?

Lots of questions, that only you and the exchange can answer.

Not married.

Not cohabiting

No wife working...{see not-married:p:p}

Over 25

Living at home.

Sharing the box room with my brother- father is building us something to sleep in outside so my brother can have his room back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

my son when into the social welfare office to sign on for credits,he has finished 3rd year,and is trying to get a summer job during his holidays,(june till october).the welfare officer told him as he was in full time education he couldnt sign on for credits.is this correct?

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    my son when into the social welfare office to sign on for credits,he has finished 3rd year,and is trying to get a summer job during his holidays,(june till october).the welfare officer told him as he was in full time education he couldnt sign on for credits.is this correct?

I'd ask them to clarify that - but it is entirely possible.

Students returning to their degree full time in autumn aren't eligible for JB or JA. Not sure about credits. If you get it confirmed either way would you mind posting here to let us know? We'd appreciate it.

thanks,will ring citz advise people asap.

some guy on gerry ryan show to day ,wrote a book ,KNOW YOUR RIGHTS,the wife says ,he said a college student can sign on for credits and return to college in the autumn.the wife will have to go in with his nibs to the welfare office because there just fobbing off himself.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes.

wife went with son yesterday,this time she got a bit further with the clerk,she got a form to fill in ,and has to go back today with it.will let you know the precise form and what happened later.

back there today,(blanchardstown)and after 3hours the wife was told she was in the wrong place,she should have gone to navan road,she asked why she wasnt told that yesterday,they have to ring her back,as they want a letter from the college to say she is not returning to college.the form was for job seekers allowance.so far not very helpful.will let you know what happens.

Advertisement