Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scéim Chónaithe Dhartraí

Options
  • 05-05-2009 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi a dhaltai, is mise Aoife agus ta suim agam i sceim chonaithe dhartrai 09-10.

Okay, im going to write the rest as bearla so i get everything perfectly clear!!!
    Anyone living in Darty ??? There wasnt much on the trinity webiste so im going to write out some q's if thats okay. Sorry 4 being another annoying Leaving cert query.

- Is it hard to get on the scheme? Should the application form be really formal and kiss-arsy or should you be honest and put short answers?

- When u get the phone interview what do they ask u? is it hard/scary?!

- Do you have to be liofa to be considered i.e from the gaeltacht? im not, i'd say my spoken irish is good enough definitely not fluent though yet i tend to pick up languages easily and am really motivated to get fluent in irish. I enjoy it a lot in school (HL)

-Im not doing an irish based degree but dont want to lose any of my irish do u have to be actually studying it to live in dartry?

-Is it in the main trinity halls- beside the other students or separate?

-Is it a fun/worthwhile experience? Would u recommend it??

- Any other advice for me?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Heya efa, Im didnt get into halls via the scheme myself but Ill try to answer a few of your questions.
    Should the application form be really formal and kiss-arsy or should you be honest and put short answers?

Be kiss arsy. Sell yourself to them.
    Im not doing an irish based degree but dont want to lose any of my irish do u have to be actually studying it to live in dartry?

Nope, I knew a lad doing medicine who was part of the scheme. He's gone off to NUIG now though.
    Is it in the main trinity halls- beside the other students or separate?

Youll be in the same building as all the non-irish speaking students but they will probably throw you in an apartment with other irish speaking nerds. :p
    Is it a fun/worthwhile experience? Would u recommend it??

Halls is a laugh. Dont see why it would be any different through Irish.
    Any other advice for me??

Go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Halls is a laugh. Dont see why it would be any different through Irish.
    STDs don't distinguish between Irish speakers and non-Irish speakers. Send your kids to Tit Hall at your peril...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Ignoring the Puritan above me for a moment, I have heard they judge it based on your planned involvement with the Irish areas of college, and that (for the Scéim on campus at least) you have to write a report of some kind at the end of the year to confirm what you did to advance the Irish community on campus. So if I were you, I'd rave about how much you want to get involved with Conradh na Gaeilge and how you plan on playing camogie and dancing at crossroads and all that other stuff. To be honest, though, that's coming from someone who has minimal Irish and has never so much as considered applying for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

shay_562 wrote: »
    So if I were you, I'd rave about how much you want to get involved with Conradh na Gaeilge and how you plan on playing camogie and dancing at crossroads and all that other stuff.

I'm guessing Shay means An Cumann Gaelach and not Conradh na Gaeilge. Conradh na Gaeilge don't really have that much direct involvement in Irish in Trinity.

But otherwise, yep, he's bang on. Beidh ort tuairisc a thabhairt faoi na rudaí a rinne tú don teanga sa choláiste/ i Halls i rith na bliana. Ná bí buartha go fóilleach cad go díreach a bhéas ag teastáil, tiocfaidh smaointe i rith na bliana, ach bí cinnte san agallamh fón go mbíonn fonn cainte ort, agus bí díograsach agus dearfa faoin méid atá ráite agat anseo cheana féin - go bhfuil fonn ort do chuid Gaeilge a fheabhsú agus a bheith páirteach i saol an teanga sa Choláiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

naasface wrote: »
    .Post

I've also applied, just for the craic really.

I hope to study Irish and will be coming up from the country to live in Halls anyways, so I thought I might as well apply.

I heard though that the application rates from guys are really small though... we'll see.

Oh as regards the phone interview, do they give you prewarning about it so you can bí ag smaoineadh as gaelige roimh an glaoch nó an gcaithfidh tú a bheith réidh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I applied last year and they rang me to tell me I was on the waiting list, so I assume what I wrote was reasonably adequate. Probably overexaggerated my fluency (my Irish teacher definitely did...), mentioned how I play the fiddle and stuff like that. Basically sell yourself. Alright it might be somewhat dishonest, but it's likely everyone else is doing the same, and IMO this comes down a lot to whoever wants it the most, because they're likely the ones to put the most effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Not studying Irish would almost tip the scales in your favour, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

obl wrote: »
    Not studying Irish would almost tip the scales in your favour, I'd imagine.
    Seconded.

Also, whether or not your apartment will consistently speak Irish depends entirely on your flatmates. Two of my friends lived in an Irish-speaking apartment in first year, but the amount of Irish actually spoken was very, very little. However, I'm sure if you're actually interested in doing it, your enthusiasm would wear off on your housmates.

Ps Halls is fantastic in first year. I'm confused by Cantab.'s implying of rampant promiscuity - I found it to be quite innocent, though maybe that was just my friends...? Also, his concept of "promiscuity" may begin at first base - who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Pet wrote: »
    Also, his concept of "promiscuity" may begin at first base - who knows?

Whats first base. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My Guide to Baseball Metaphors for "Romantic Encounters":

First Base / Single: Kissing.

Second Base: Feeling up your partner. One can "steal second", that is cop a feel when your partner is off guard, or one can hit a Double, and get there immediately.

Third Base: Genital stimulation, but not actual sex. As with actual baseball, this is very difficult to do in one go (Triple), and is usually achieved by advancing from second.

Home Plate: Sex. Stealing from third is notoriously risky, but very memorable if pulled off correctly. Most commonly done by advancing gradually around the bases. Ocassionally, one can hit a home run and round the bags in quick succession and coming around to score at one attempt. A two run homer involves bringing home the "partner" at bat, as well as one other on any base. A three-runner scores 3. The rarest of rare is the Grand Slam, scoring 4. An inside-the-parker has you rounding all the bases too quickly for the others to react.

Error: Getting somewhere due to a lapse in concentration of the partner and not ability of one's self.

RBI: Your actions help a member of your team to score, could be yourself in the case of a home-run.

Sacrifice: Intentionally getting yourself out to advance a team mate already on base. Can score a runner.

Walk: Getting to first by trying so much, but by no actual skill of your own.

Perfect Game: Sitting down all potential suitors in one night.

Double Play: Removing two possibilities with one imperfect attempt.

Triple Play: Rare, but removes three potential runs with one bad attempt.

The Cycle: Single with one partner. Double with another. Triple with a third. And a Homer with a fourth.

I think that's it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement