Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop problem

Options
  • 05-05-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi I posted this first on the laptop forum, but it might make more sense here;

Hello there,
    I am having big trouble with my laptop, I am hoping that someone may be able to help.

It is just two years old and running vista problems have been escalating for the last few months.
    It now loads up with a warning sign “SVPWUITL.exe – Application Error – The application failed to initialise properly (0xc00000006) click ok to terminate the application

Once I click ok the laptop runs Ok on first sight, it can do a lot of things as normal and is generally as quick as ever.
    However if I try and open MS Paint I get the exact same error, the same is true for Dreamweaver and lots more programs. I think its true to say that any program that I downloaded since I got the error has failed to open and shows the same error (mostly video converting programs) The only exception is possibly Google Chrome.

I also tried running the steps outlined in the ‘I think I have a virus’ thread, but this also needs a program to be installed and again I got the same error.
    I have tried doing a disk check yet every single time this crashes at 27%!
    Just today I tried re-installing Windows Vista onto it, with the disk that came with the laptop, this progressed through the 1st step (saving old windows files, I think) but crashed at the second stage (something along the lines of exploring files) Interestingly it again crashed at 27%.

I tried downloading a beta version of Windows 7 to use instead of vista but this did not work out I just got a clicking sound from the disk drive, perhaps due to a cd burning error.
    So, any suggestions of how I could repair my current version of Vista, or successfully install a new one over it? I have already backed up my own hard-drive and it is quiet big 160gb I think, so perhaps using linux on a partition of this might be an option as well? I just don’t know if that would destroy my current windows set up.

Aside: I am not sure if this is related or not, but the laptop also completely crashes to the point that if its playing music it repeats the same sounds constantly unless powered off by force. Through exhaustive tests it appears that this only happens when connected via an Ethernet cable to the broadband in my flat, regardless of the bit-torrent program used, it happens consistently every time, yet never happens when I use wireless networks or my o2 dial up dongle. (also for a short while it appeared that installing peer guardian had caused a cease to the problems yet it no longer appears to help.

Second Aside: Again I do not know if this is related but only one of the 4 USB slots always works, the others are dodgy and work some of the time, also I may be paranoid but I think the more I use my o2 dongle in it the more often the dongle has detection issues regardless of which laptop I use it on
    Thank you.

Advertisement