Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Kells??

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Im going to be staying with family in kells in a couple of weeks is there much goin on there or will i find my entertainment out of town??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Apart from the drink:

Kells is a 6th century monastic town so you could visit the round tower and the high cross.

Or play golf in the at Headfort G.C. It has 2 high standard 18 hole courses.

Then of course you have Loughcrew but thats out the country near Oldcastle. Its worth a visit if you are in to archaeology/history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughcrew

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

have a good sneer? :D

or is that in navan?

Don't forget to go to the Vibe. It is the place to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Usually a bit of cock fighting come Sunday morning in those parts...

You can see the ditch that was the boundary of the Pale in the late medieval period if you go out the Oldcastle road a bit. Pretty cool.

I second Sliabh na Caillí and Loughcrew in general. Very uplifting place but I don't personally want it to become another Newgrange full of tourists as I go there regularly just for the isolation and the view. Loughcrew gardens are nice to walk around too, and apparently they are holding an opera festival there in the summer now. If you have a car, definitely drive over to Fore Abbey, another hidden gem bursting at the seams with history.

If you want to practise your Irish and listen to trad music, a night over in Ráth Cairn, 15km away, is well worth it: http://www.rathcairn.com/imeachtai.html

It really depends what your interests are, I suppose. Bain taitneamh as/ Enjoy!

Dionysus wrote: »
    but I don't personally want it to become another Newgrange full of tourists as I go there regularly just for the isolation and the view.

I know what you are saying but on the other hand what is the point in paying tax payers money on archaeological excavation and research if the public don't get the chance to experience it or even hear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

sweetie wrote: »
    have a good sneer? :D

or is that in navan?

You could stand at the bus stop and smile at all the people on the bus to dublin heading up to take all the jobs :)

Kells also has a pitch n putt course. If you go as fas as Athboy I'm pretty sure theres kart racing over that area somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tripi

check the meath event guide for places to go, they list gigs etc www.meg.ie

Advertisement