Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omega point!

Options
  • 04-05-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just curious if anyone has read Marcus Chowns 'The never ending days of being dead'?

Would like to know other peoples ideas on the omega point when/if the universe contracts to the big crunch and the possibility that intelligent beings will have close to infinite 'processing' power and may run simulations of the universe thus everyone and everything that has ever been will be run again.... I know its an out there scenario but it keeps the mind ticking over ;-)

And, therefore could we ...in fact, be GOD??:eek::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

It's just pure speculation/sci-fi.

Also, how can any being, intelligent or not, live in the big crunch and run computer programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I only know this theory from Deutsch's "the fabric of reality". The infinite computation idea is interesting but its hard for us to imagine the aims of a civilisation that far advanced from us. Imagine the makers of the medieval cathedrals who were told about our current abilities. They would probably see us building mile high churches and such. Sci-fi that far in advance tells us more about what we think then about what the future might be.

That and it looks like the big crunch wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

ah, the big crunch! is there enough dark matter and is it repulsive or not!
    I know its off topic but its good to know other people are thinking out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wouldn't you need infinite matter and energy to have infinite processing power?

Zillah

Wouldn't you need infinite matter and energy to have infinite processing power?
    As far as i remember the messiness involved in a singularity at the big crunch would provide near infinite energy and near infinite matter density. I'm not a physicist so I don't know enough to rate this theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"Near infinite" is a nonsensical term...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AFAIK the big crunch hypothesis is dead in the water since they showed that inflation is actually in a state of acceleration.

Zillah "Near infinite" is a nonsensical term...

If you have a better phrase for what happens as you approach a singularity then that is the one that should be used.

Advertisement