Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda HC

Options
  • 04-05-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a Drogheda mens team ever played in the Leinster league, the reason I ask is that there are now a lot of Leinster clubs outside the Dublin area, which is great to see, but I've never heard of a club from Drogheda despite hockey being a popular sport in Drogheda Grammer school at one time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

A team called Drogheda YMCA played in leinster League in 1956/57.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks for that information Dragonkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Renius

I went to Drogheda Grammar and kept the hockey up in UCD when i went there. Would you be interested in trying to start up a hockey team in Drogheda Vektarman??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Drogheda would be a great place to have a hockey club! If you're thinking of starting one you should contact the Eastern Development Officer, Lucas Piccioli see the IHA website.

I've always felt it would be a good idea to have a small mixed or single sex league system set up during the summer so that mixed teams from different clubs could play each other, hockey sixes could be played instead of full 11 aside hockey. This would be an ideal method of helping small clubs to set up and rebuilding mens sections in existing ladies only clubs.

Instead of traditional league set ups a tournament format could be arranged where each club organises a one day tournament and invites all the other clubs and then each club who agrees to enter then has to organise their own one day tournament. It would be more of a social/family occasion then as more people would be around and BBQs etc could be organised. As you can play several games on the same pitch it wouldn't have to take a long time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

@ renius, sorry for the late reply, I was just curious as to why there was no hockey club in Drogheda despite the relatively large population compared to other towns that have clubs eg Naas, Mullingar, Navan etc. I would certainly have been interested in helping to set up a club in Drogheda but I'm a bit restricted timewise with family and job commitments.
    @dragonkin, good suggestions there, some people are reluctant to join a hockey club because of the commitment and a perceived 'seriousness' in a league playing club, your idea is ideal for bridging the gap between school and senior hockey and indeed bringing hockey players who have been out of the game for a while back to the game in a more informal and fun way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement