Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B. Sc. (Education) Biological Sciences

Options
  • 03-05-2009 3:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all :D I'm new!!
    Anyways I have a quick question. I'm currently in the above course (1st year) and am just wondering can anyone tell me what 2nd year is going to be like? I'm finding Physics really tough in 1st year... can anyone tell me if it gets much harder next year?

And also, can anyone tell me what the 6 week TP is like during the 2nd semester of 2nd year?. Do you only teach Junior cycle pupils? how many classes a week etc? an insight would be great, as I'm really dreading this too!!. Thanks in advance..oh and good luck to everyone in the exams!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roverm

ya physics gets harder in second semester in 2nd year but everyone is in the same boat as it doesnt compare to leaving cert physics.
    teaching practise is prity tough going - i think 15 classes a week and all of them are in the junour cert cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xx.Ashy09.xx

15hours a week?? :eek: Are you supposed to prepare lesson plans etc. in semester one/before you go on TP, or do you do them while in school? I really can't imagine myself being able for it!

So you definately don't have to teach 5th year Biology or Physics? just want to verify this!! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roverm

its 15 classes a week - which works out to e bout 10 hours ( i think :p ) . well you have to wit til u get ur school den u go talk to who is over you - could be the principal ( in my case the school had its own science department and the person in charge told me what classes i was teaching) . then when you know what classes and subject and chapter, then you can start doing your lesson plans. and all have to be in the juniour cert because the leaving cert is for 4th year teaching practise.

hope this answers everything.

o u get 2 tutors assigned to u - they are the ones who give u d marks. u get 2 visits from both while teaching. their 1st visit is a practice run where they tell your faults, good point etc and there next visit is where u get marked properly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosgirl

Hey I'm in fourth year of science ed. I found physics difficult in first year too but I actually thought the physics in second year was a lot more straightforward and easier to understand. As for teaching practice you are supossed to have 15 classes a week but this will depend on your school, if they do not have 15 classes a week to give you will not have to do 15. Normally schools give people on second year tp 1st and 2nd year classes only but I have found that this also depends on the school as there is no set rule for this. It is possible but unlikely that you could have leaving certificate classes but if you mention to the principal of the school you end up in during your first visit that you would be more comfortable teaching juniors i'm sure they will accomodate you. Don't worry about second year it will be a breeze, as for third year that is a whole other story :eek:. If there is anything else you want to know feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

i'm in 3rd year sci ed at the moment, and from my experience 2nd year is ok, but physics does get a bit harder, just make sure to go to all the tutorials and lectures and you will do ok! T.P. really depends on the person. I had 15 hours a week, and i was bored ****less in the staff room more often than not, i would of rathered more classes!

Lesson plans and post lesson appraisals are a pain, but the tutors are really only looking to see if 1) you know the material you are teaching and 2) if you can handle a class of 20 or so pupils,

From my experience, keep up to date with your folder and try and have some fun when in the class, it will make the time fly much faster! its great coming back to U.L. with only one exam as well!!

as for 3rd year, you really need to keep the head down a bit, i got average results but i was drinking ALOT! if you go out half as much as i did, you'll do fine! I thought that 3rd year was the hardest but i never did biology before college so every bio module is a struggle!

• Advertisement
Advertisement