Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A foreigner who wants to teach in Ireland...?

Options
  • 02-05-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a master's degree in Spanish teaching & translating and, as I LOVE teaching, I would really like to be able to start doing what I enjoy... The trick is that I don't really know HOW to start, or even IF I would be able to do so...

Can anyone help?

Btw, I am Polish...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You MIGHT be able to get a little part time work although like every other area work is very becoming scarce .I hardly need tell you tha t there are a lot of Polish children in Irish schools,maybe you could use your ability to communicate with them in their native language to your advantage at job interviews... There cant be too many Polish Spanish teachers here!For a permanent job you must have a teaching qualification -1 year duration usually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

(I'm not following you emka, I promise...:))

We had a woman from Slovakia working with us the other year and we always have a few Italians about, so it's certainly possible to get work as a teacher. You will inevitably come up against some parochial attitudes, but that's Ireland. It seems to me to be such a waste to have so many highly qualified and experienced people from other countries buttering bread in sandwich shops and waiting on tables.

The Teaching Council is the body that is said to be in charge of 'promoting and regulating the profession'. You could contact them and see what they have to say about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Thank you both for your replies! They give me hope that, even though it could be REALLY tough, it IS possible... What about Irish, though, is it not necessary? Or a second language to teach?...

I was hoping to do my PhD here, but can't find anything either...

And, Spurious, no worries about staling or sth, I have noticed you here before... ;) In addition, fortunately I am not one of the 'buttering' ones, but the place that I work in at the moment doesn't seem to bring me happines anyway... And to make things worse - I keep getting emails and calls with some job offers from Poland ... Damn, if it wasn't for my Irish boyfriend... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

spurious wrote: »
    (I'm not following you emka, I promise...:))

You will inevitably come up against some parochial attitudes, but that's Ireland. It seems to me to be such a waste to have so many highly qualified and experienced people from other countries buttering bread in sandwich shops and waiting on tables.

If you want to see a narrow mind you have to find a 'broad' one.

Do you not get parochial attitudes elsewhere? An Irish person would have exactly the same chance to teach a subject in the same school in Warsaw as a native of Warsaw?

And there are many highly qualified and experienced Irish people who are unemployed at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Powerhouse wrote: »
    An Irish person would have exactly the same chance to teach a subject in the same school in Warsaw as a native of Warsaw?

Nope, he wouldn't. An Irish person - with proper qualifications - would actually have GREATER chances of getting a teaching job in Warsaw than a Polish one, provided he could speak Polish reasonably enough. Come to think of it, that wouldnt even be all quite that neccessary seeing as schools which teach through the medium of English are on the rise in Poland.

But so as not to go totally off-topic. Ewka - yes it is possible for a non-Irish national to teach in an Irish school - I did so for 18 months and I'm from Poland as well.

The first thing you have to do is - as I'm sure you know - get all your papers and diplomas translated. With that done, contact the Teaching Council and ask for accreditation. If you've done at least four years at the uni in 'normal' mode (meaning not "zaocznie" ) you should stand a chance.

As for Irish - if you're planning to teach in secondary school you will not need it.

As someone said before, make sure you emphasize your nationality and ability to act as a translator/interpreter during job interviews. With so many Polish children in Irish schools this may actually give you an advantage.

Also, if you're a teacher of Spanish, why dont you try to apply to language schools and your local VEC? That would look good on CV and may just open more doors to you.

One way or another, best of luck.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Hi Emka,

One other thing I would suggest is to apply for jobs as a language teacher in universities or ITs - I imagine your masters would qualify you, and if you are planning to do PhD that might also work in your favour as they often like to employ tutors working towards PhDs, and might possibly also offer some funding for your studies.

Advertisement