Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepard Problem??

Options
  • 02-05-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi folks, a friend of my brother had a 2yr GSD and due to a new job he has no time for it.So my brother took it as we have a large back garden and plenty of time to walk and exercise the dog,but since the dog has arrived it has been running round in circles all the time very fast,like a motorbike skidding in a circle, he eats well and has great temperment and bahavior,my parents are a bit worried that he might be a bit nuts and might turning on someone...can anyone tell me what this is and can we do something to help him.

My brothers friend said he has done this since he was 6 months old.

Thanks in avance

Graham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

My guess would be that it's a stress related behaviour, and since he's been at it a long time it has developed into a habit. More than likely the cause of the stress was never addressed.
    The cause could be anything.... boredom and frustration, lack of leadership on the previous owner's part, confinement in a small space, and it may have been unintentionally reinforced with positive attention when he did it first (laughing).
    Or I could be totally wrong and maybe the dog does this when he's in a playful mood....

I think your best bet would be to have a home consultation with a dog behaviourist who can view the dog doing this and advise what action to take.
    For what it's worth- I don't think the dog is 'nuts' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

Before ya start anything, try bringing the dog swimming, i know it sounds trivial but try it for a few days first and see if there's improvement. I know an unreal behaviourist/trainer in galway if it helps, he doesnt advertise (doesnt need to) but he thought me to listen to my dogs. hes great. 0857297619

Advertisement