Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARE BORDER COLLIES EASY TO TRAIN.

Options
  • 02-05-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Looking into getting a Border collie bitch to do training for tricks/ agaility etc. Is it as easy as it looks to train them . Should I get a farm breed one or one from show stock. Who are the best trainers to go to in the dublin/ meath area.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I've always found collies very intelligent. They really seem to want to do things for you and it seems to come naturally to them. Obviously, the more time and attention you can give them, the better they will be and the more they will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Collies in general are clever so if you are willing to put in the time and it does need patience then any dog you get should pick it up. When choosing the dog look for the usual things like health and temprament but also gauge how bright and interested the dog is in you etc.

Would you consider a rescue collie they are just as good as any show collie or collie from a farmyard a lot of collies in rescue come from farm yards anyway.

They are just as clever and are so delighted with the attention that they do want to please.

Some collies are a little clumsy but this can happen no matter where you get them. Once they pick up how to do something they thrive on the routine.

Not only collies do agility, we have a wee little collie cross..well she's more like a sheltie crossed with dog knows what else but she would be fantastic at agility very agile and loves to jump through things etc.

Collies in general love their grub so basic training is easy enough with them as long as your consistant.

One good training place is Dog Training Ireland (if you Google it it will come up) I've seen them in action before and they use posative methods of training, no pulling or forcing the dog they do training classes and also have a doggy day care for well behaved pooches.

Meant to add that a dog has to be a year old before they start agility (think it's a year old correct me if I'm wrong) because it's not good for their joints and muscles because they are still growing methinks.

Advertisement