Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know when to put your pet down?

Options
  • 02-05-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched to no avail.

My dog is 17, it goes without saying how much I love him and that I want him to be happy and healthy.

Unfortunately, he's not so healthy. He's blind, partially deaf, mute, incontinent, and has problems with his legs. I think he may have dementia, he's often found staring at a wall ,or the floor.

His legs in particular are what is worrying me. Members of my family are concerned that once they go he'll have no quality of life and we should put him down. He finds it difficult to walk around on the tiled floor, or the laminated wood, but he's not so bad in the back garden.

He doesn't appear to be unhappy, but then again, I don't know, because he isn't the same happy dog he used to be. He just lives for food. I don't know if I should agree to have him put down. I don't know how to make this decision.

Does anyone have any insight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

It's a tough one and I really don't envy you....
    I was faced with the same decision not too long ago with my elderly and cancer stricken German Shepherd.
    I think what it boils down to is quality of life. And the decision you make must sit well with you.
    This is my personal opinion only.....
    If the dog is in pain and it isn't likely to subside, then his suffering shouldn't be prolonged.
    If he is existing and not living....it's no life for a dog.
    I think you should talk to your vet and find out if the dog is in pain, and can that pain be controlled with medication?
    Are the conditions he has likely to improve, or are they permanent and progressive?
    What does the future look like for this dog in the vet's opinion?

I think things will be clearer to you after a chat with your vet....

My thoughts are with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I dont think anyone can tell you when to put him down, you need to look at his quality of life and you know your dog better then anyone so really i feel its up to you to make the decision. At least you will know you gave him an excellent life and all the love he needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Put yourself in his shoes and ask how you would feel if it was you who had his symptoms and quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i'll be honest with you, he's ready to go-its all about quality of life and his is poor at the minute.. sorry to be so blunt..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    i'll be honest with you, he's ready to go-its all about quality of life and his is poor at the minute.. sorry to be so blunt..

It's so cliche', but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

My family had a dog which was 17yrs old, who in her last few months suffered loads.

Against vetinary advice we didn't put her to sleep, we thought we'd give her more time (in hindsight this was very selfish of us). But in the end she died in pain.

OP, let your dog go.

Here's ten commandments for dog ownership..

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Regular separation from you will be painful and can even cause depression. Think before you buy me.

2.Give me time to understand what you want from me don't be impatient, short-tempered or irritable.

3.Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back, respect is earned not given as some sort of inalienable right.

4.Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. I am not capable of understanding why I am being locked up. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.

5.Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your tone. "You only have to look at my tail" to know that.

6.Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget, if that treatment is unjust or bad, it may spoil the special bond between us.

7. Please do not hit me. I cannot hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I don't ever want to feel the need to do that.

8. Before you tell me off me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be wrong with me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, maybe my heart is getting old and weak, or maybe I'm just dog-tired.

9.Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and will also want care, love, and affection.

10. Go with me on my final journey. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, Irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

-M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Discuss your dog's current situation with your vet and see what his prognosis is. If your dog is in pain that cannot be managed, then the kind thing is to get him put to sleep. If both you and your vet concur that his quality of life is good enough that you're happy to keep him with you for a while longer then make sure he's cared for and monitored so that you recognise when he may need to be put down.
    10. Go with me on my final journey. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, Irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

I definitely second this. My sister and I bawled our eyes out when our rough collie was put to sleep a decade ago but she was a good friend and companion to us throughout our childhoods (and put up with far more from us than she should have :)) and being there to make sure she wasn't upset by the procedure was the least we could have done for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I definitely second this. My sister and I bawled our eyes out when our rough collie was put to sleep a decade ago but she was a good friend and companion to us throughout our childhoods (and put up with far more from us than she should have :)) and being there to make sure she wasn't upset by the procedure was the least we could have done for her.

I was present when my cat was put to sleep recently. It was very quick but pretty upsetting to be honest. But to get back on track, I had a discussion with the vet about his future quality of life and the outlook was bleak so I had to make the decision. I still wonder if I did the right thing but I respect the professional opinion of my vet and he was in favour of it. He's hardly likely to put a regular patient to sleep if it's not in the best interests of the animal. So in summary, I would recommend that you seek the opinion of your vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

This is really sad. He's your friend, do whats best for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apart from the dementia and incontinence, you could be describing my 17 year old. He still likes his walks though, plays a bit (though he tires easily) and is not in any pain. He's a bit wobbly on the pins in the morning, but soon sorts himself out.

The first sign of pain and I'm taking him to the vet. In truth, I think I'd find it easier if he just didn't wake up one morning, but I'm ready to take him to the vet to be put to sleep if I have to. After all the pleasure he's given us all over the years, I only have to do one really difficult thing for him. It will break my heart, but it's the least I can do for him.

You're the one knows best if it's time for your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As others have said, you know yourself if your dog is still enjoying life at all.
    My dog got put down when I wasn't there, she'd not been well & just deteriorated overnight, she'd wet & soiled everywhere & was so embarrassed & upset, she'd lost control, she'd gotten mad & smashed her cone (she'd a cone cuz she'd scratched her eye) (this is the most gentle dog ever). Dad brought her to the vet & he said it'd be cruel to keep her alive.

A friends dog, who became sort of like my dog(because I lived there for 4 years), had to be put down, she too had gotten old and lost control. I have to say it was one of the sadest things I've witnessed, she was gone so quick. But at least we knew she was out of pain and not struggling with life.

What do you feel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

I'm absolutely in favour of putting an animal to sleep if there is no hope of recovery.
    A few years back my cat was very ill, brought her to two different vets (second opinion and such like). Both vets didn't find out what's wrong with her (breathing problems), the second vet told me not to put her down, she might have a few weeks to live. A friend told me to let her live a while, too, not to be so hasty. Both were wrong.
    In the end I found her screaming and hiding in the garden, grabbed her to bring her to the vet to take her out of her misery but she died in the car, in pain.
    I still regret it, not to have done something before she got worse, still think I could have spared her some miserable weeks.

The decision to play 'god' is hard on you but it's not about you, it's about the animal, your pet and friend, who deserves a dignified death when a joyful and painfree life is not possible anymore.

palaver wrote: »
    Both were wrong.

Sorry I just had to post to say my heart goes out to you, that must have been awful for you and your poor pet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

OP
    Had my dog gizmo PTS a few months ago
    we had him 20 years.
    For a few months before my family wanted to get him PTS but i just couldnt do it.
    He was nearly blind, deaf and just seemed to wander around the place.
    Brought him to the vet when he was crying while doing a poo
    He had a bowel infection which cleared up but he just wasnt right
    I tried to convince myself there was something we could do.
    In the end we did what had to be done for his sake. He was no longer happy chirpy self he once was.
    Im nearly sobbing typing this.
    We brought him to the vet to get him PTS. Being there was so hard but it was the best decision i ever made. Just to have those final moments with him.
    I would recommend 1 thing. Get a good photo of him of you dont already have one and frame it.
    He will always be one of the family
    I feel for you in this situation.
    Take care
    Pajo

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Thank you, everyone for your replies, although a little painful to read I really do appreciate them. We're family a family meeting (how brady bunch of us!) this evening to discuss it. I'm quite sure it will result in a trip to the vet tomorrow.

It's been a really really good 17 years.

Thanks again everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Our family dog of 13 years was put to sleep 4 years ago. I still miss him, he was my little buddy :) It was a hard decision but at the end of the day you have to do what's right for the dog. If he's suffering you know it's cruel to keep him alive. If he isn't and you think he's okay despite his quality of life then maybe hold on to him....only if you know for sure he's not suffering. Whatever happens good luck with it, it's a horrible thing to have to decide. The void left after is a big one but at least you'll have done the right thing by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

yes.......its the last kindness we can do for our pet.....
    def stay with them even though its upsetting, its just like them going to sleep and they wont be in pain and will feel safe if you`re with them.
    my heart goes out to you having been through this a couple of times now:(

again OP my heart goes out to you
    Its such a hard thing to decide.
    You will never forget him, hold onto that.
    He will always be with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

OP, something that will help you is something that I did when I had to put my fella to sleep.

I rubbed him gently as he was slipping away and prior to that, the vet cut a lock of his hair which I still have today.

Also, we had him INDIVIDUALLY cremated and he's on our mantle piece in front of me here.

Really helped.

Really feel for you. It's not easy. But was made easier for me by doing the above.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Wow this is the first thread I have found really upsetting, OP I feel for you so much. My chap is 14, so is my OHs and it's something we both fear so much. Your dog puts his trust and love in you and your family so I know you will all do what's best for him. I wish you and your chap the best whatever decision you make...

kraggy wrote: »
    the vet cut a lock of his hair which I still have today.

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I wonder how MadgeBadge is doing.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Hi all,

a family meeting was called, and the majority ruled to keep a close eye on Arnold a little while longer, at least until my sister (who lives abroad) comes home (next week).

I'm now firmly of the opinion that he's just existing, he appears to have no enjoyment in life. It's so heart breaking to see, but we have at least all agreed that it would be cruel to put him through another winter. He couldn't possibly survive it in any degree of comfort.

So, for now I'm waiting to see if my sister will add her voice to mine, and hoping he'll slip away in his sleep (feels so awful to be hoping he dies).

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really do appreciate them, they've been a great insight, and a great comfort also.

Gosh you poor things, that's a horrible thing to have to decide but you know you're doing it for the right reasons. It's not terrible to be hoping he dies peacefully at all, I've wished that for relatives who were sick/in pain. It's the best way for them.

I can understand waiting for your sister to come back, I didn't get to say goodbye to my first dog and I hated that. Good luck and I hope things get easier

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

Thanks for sharing with us all. My heart goes out to you all. This is a really tough time and I am sure you will all come to the same decision which is the best for all concerned. Take care and lol.

Advertisement