Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Capri Rear suspension?

Options
  • 02-05-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I was thinking recently of getting the rear spring from a 2.8 capri to put in my 1.6 laser. But thought if im going to that trouble why not put in the LSD from a 2.8 too? is it a case that i could buy the whole rear axle and simply put it into mine or how can this be done? I have no idea of the amount of work needed but im guessing it could be quite difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why go to the expense of getting an LSD, and potentially getting in refurbished for a 1.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

It shouldn't be difficult at all.
    I've changed rear springs on Capris in the past & as far as I can rem, the rear axle is only held in by 4 U-Bolts. 2 on either side.
    There could be an axle locating kit on some cars, but again,only a question of undoing a few bolts.
    Also, you'd have to disconnect the rear brakes,again, not difficult.
    I have no experiance of 2.8 models, so I don't know how their axles differ from the smaller models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

I was thinking recently of getting the rear spring from a 2.8 capri to put in my 1.6 laser. But thought if im going to that trouble why not put in the LSD from a 2.8 too? is it a case that i could buy the whole rear axle and simply put it into mine or how can this be done? I have no idea of the amount of work needed but im guessing it could be quite difficult?

only the 2.8 special had a limited slip diff, just for your own info incase you get caught when buying one.

tbh its not worth it (unless you have long term plans for a power hike). The 2.8 axle had a different final drive ratio to your 1.6 item, so bear that in mind too.

if you do decide to change though, its a relatively simple affair. :)

Advertisement