Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for electrical contractors to get more work

Options
  • 02-05-2009 10:04am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Many (not all) electrical contractors seem to be short of work at present. I thought why not have a thread with ideas that could generate work during these recessionary times?

Here is one of my ideas:

Have a single switch master off switch at the front door of a house. By pressing this switch all lighting circuits switch off (with the exception of outside sensor lights). A similar switch could be used to switch off most sockets, (with the exception of the ones for Sky box etc). This would save the customer lots of money over time and generate some more work for electricians.

What do you think?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭viper959

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Have here in the house a switch near every light switch in the room
    That switch has a red light and is used for all of the sockets in that room Even the sky box is switched off when leaving the room , why not??
    And yes it saves a lot of money , bills were down from 98 euro a month to 54 euro a month since using the central socket switches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭viper959

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

viper959 wrote: »

It is just a simple switch supplying the coil of a normally open contactor. A storage heater contactor would work, it just needs a pole per circuit.

To be honest things have moved on so much since I put that post up. I now control most of my lights though an app on my phone. You will get plenty of ideas and advice on this and much more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

viper959 wrote: »

It sounds like a spur to me.
    I done this for a friend of mine years ago when he was building a house,but just in a few rooms sitting room, bedrooms (kids mainly) and lounge area also put external lights on contactors with a master on switch, and blue mini led down lighters in the door frame of the bedrooms and main bathroom that he used to turn on at night for the kids. Now with home automation it can be done a lot easier I hope he doesn't find out or he will try rope me in to rewire his house lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had three calls in the last three weeks with people looking for a timer for an electric shower. Something that would limit it to 10 minute showers.

There's money to be made

2011 wrote: »
    Have a single switch master off switch at the front door of a house. By pressing this switch all lighting circuits switch off (with the exception of outside sensor lights). A similar switch could be used to switch off most sockets, (with the exception of the ones for Sky box etc).

You mean that's not normal? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I had three calls in the last three weeks with people looking for a timer for an electric shower. Something that would limit it to 10 minute showers.

There's money to be made
    Something I used to suggest years ago. That and a relay setup with hold on contact. Start and stop button. Like a DOL starter. Power goes and comes back on, and shower won't restart. Timer and relay would be simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

There's money to be made

They are available alright. 7 and 15 min versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Tow

I need one of those... As above they, are available and can take tokens. Common in camp sites etc.

LED countdown display. When it hits 0 the hot supply cuts off. So no problem with being left covered with soap. They finish up quickly with only cold water :D

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LeBash wrote:
    They are available alright. 7 and 15 min versions.

Where would you get them? Or what are they called? There's barely a week goes by without someone asking me about them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Install a two zone timer, one zone for heating and the other zone controls a contactor at the immersion heater. So people can time/boost/advance both heating and water. Nice and simple, great for rented properties.

Another nice addition would be to put a tank stat in series with the contactor coil, so Immersion will turn off when cylinder is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

Where would you get them? Or what are they called? There's barely a week goes by without someone asking me about them

They are shower boards made specially. Most of the manufacturers have them. You can see them offered on TECs catalogue online and Garos website.

They have a small relay that can be switched between 7 and 15 mins via a dip switch.

Advertisement