Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really need help here (cost of living)

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

em ok heres my situation..... im broke :mad: and well not exactly a rich background so how much does it cost for livin in ul for a week on campus (food goin ou clubs etc etc.....) a rough figure will do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

€70/80 should get you a long way after rent if you cook your own food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

WHAT??? €70! A NOW seriously?? ok that doesnt include alcohol does it?!! (i dont drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

WHAT??? €70! A NOW seriously?? ok that doesnt include alcohol does it?!! (i dont drink)
    If you don't drink you could cut that further. You won't go out every night, I've gone out and spent less than €15 when not drinking, however it has hit €70/80 on occasions when drinking, but you can have a night out (while drinking) on about €30 if you're drinking beforehand.

I hope to do something on getting money management skills out there amog students next year, but there's a lot of local butchers/shops etc that do deals that will feed you for a fortnight on about €30/€40.

There'll be weeks when you have more you can head out more and weeks you have less and you'll just have to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

You'd be suprised ow easy it is to pull off a cheap week.

Just one thing, when going out never have too much money in your wallet because after a few drinks you just start throwing the money away.

Shop in Aldi anyway thats the best thing you can do, Such great deals there and the food is top notch.

Try not too eat on campus too much.

If you don;t go out in a week you might only have to spend €30.

If you get a grant you could live a lot better than that aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Once you get the hang of it, it's possibly to get by on very little a week. Here are my tips:

Set yourself a budget for the "necessities" - travel, food etc. and DON'T go over it.

Shop around and find the best deals. Some butchers will do student deals for €10 and will give you more than enough meat for the week.

Buy as much as you can in Lidl.

Always have lots of staple foods like rice and pasta available.

Bring a lunch to college with you, don't eat on campus. Or at least don't eat on campus everyday.

Generally I can get by on €20/25 a week for food and €20 a week on travel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement