Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savage deals in DID in todays Times

Options
  • 01-05-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

They have a Wii for 196 euro, a Philips Soundbar for 276 euro... i priced up one of those soundbars around Christmas as i have an ambilight and they were over 700 euro!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

As far as i know Currys and Harvey Norman are doing the sound bar for 249euro and the wii for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What is a soundbar exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Antigone05 wrote: »
    As far as i know Currys and Harvey Norman are doing the sound bar for 249euro and the wii for the same

Harveys were 679 on the soundbar when i checked last week, maybe they have dropped their price but i haven't seen them advertise it and they don't have a website that you can check these things on :mad:

A soundbar is a home cinema system but its very compact and you don't have to worry about wires etc.. they are really cool - been wanting one for ages to match my TV so think i might actually get one this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/aspx/homepage.aspx

Soundbar on front page for €295, but apparently (I havent read the conditions) they have free delivery to the republic on orders over €99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Harveys were 679 on the soundbar when i checked last week, maybe they have dropped their price but i haven't seen them advertise it and they don't have a website that you can check these things on :mad:

A soundbar is a home cinema system but its very compact and you don't have to worry about wires etc.. they are really cool - been wanting one for ages to match my TV so think i might actually get one this weekend.

Does it play DVD's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

deffin wrote: »
    Does it play DVD's?

yep
    Soundbar on front page for €295, but apparently (I havent read the conditions) they have free delivery to the republic on orders over €99.

In the paper for 276, maybe they aren't running that promo online with the free delivery or its an instore only offer. Doesn't really matter as i live close enough to the DID in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cheers OP, I bought the Philips Soundbar as an impulse buy. There isn't a DID store near me so I bought online for €295 plus free shipping :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Xtra Vision are doing the Wii for 199.99. Looks like DID are cheaper.. Where can I get a copy of the ad without buying the times?

Not sure mate, had a look at times online and its a subscription.

They have loads of stuff in their advert anyhow - would be good if you're fitting a house out. They're also saying they will beat any Currys or Harvey Norman price in the North or South... that's interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

For anybody that does not know what a " SoundBar " is, here is a video of the new Samsung version but I take it the Philips version works the same way...

OP, do you know the model number of the one from the DID ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    For anybody that does not know what a " SoundBar " is, here is a video of the new Samsung version but I take it the Philips version works the same way...

OP, do you know the model number of the one from the DID ad?
    It's a HTS6100

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent sound out of this, took a listen to it in DID and Harvey Norman, who reduced the price to €269. DID said they would check the quote and "see what they can do" for me. Iv to call them today, but not sure ill have the time.

The Xtra Vision offer for the Wii seems better.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I'm very interested in getting the Wii and the Wii Fit for Christmas .... would it be better to go for the DID or Xtra Vision offer now or wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

dogeyknees wrote: »
    They have a Wii for 196 euro, a Philips Soundbar for 276 euro... i priced up one of those soundbars around Christmas as i have an ambilight and they were over 700 euro!

there's two or three different Philips soundbars, the one for 700 euro is the top-range model, that's obviously not the model DID are advertising for 276....but go ahead and buy something without doing research, there's one born every minute :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

power city are also doing it for 269, was in there today seen it in the tallaght store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chinupgirl

I'm very interested in getting the Wii and the Wii Fit for Christmas .... would it be better to go for the DID or Xtra Vision offer now or wait?

Personally Im would recommend DID - bought a load of stuff for my new kitchen, they know their stuff and have that 200% back guarantee if you find it cheaper anywhere else etc. Saved me the hassle of shopping around etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

there's two or three different Philips soundbars, the one for 700 euro is the top-range model, that's obviously not the model DID are advertising for 276....but go ahead and buy something without doing research, there's one born every minute :rolleyes:

Read post 7 for the model soundbar, link provided aswell :confused:

heres a review on it

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/review/2008/10/01/Philips-HTS6100-Soundbar-Home-Cinema-System/p1

maybe you should read the thread before making stupid posts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Does the soundbar only "surroundify" it's own dvd playback or does it take input from a digibox and/or a PS3 too?
    I'd be very interested if it's more than just a surround sound DVD player.

It was the one that was 700 euro, they had reduced it.. believe me, i did plenty of research.

• Advertisement

*Honey* wrote: »

Little difference price wise and I think DIDs offer is finished today.

milltown wrote: »
    Does the soundbar only "surroundify" it's own dvd playback or does it take input from a digibox and/or a PS3 too?
    I'd be very interested if it's more than just a surround sound DVD player.

It plays CDs, hooks up to the TV and iPod. Id assume it will also connect with the Digibox and PS3 also considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Idunno

Yep. I was even able to play avi files from an external hard disk via the USB connection. Sound was as good as I could have expected from 700MB avi file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

Chinupgirl wrote: »

Personally Im would recommend DID - bought a load of stuff for my new kitchen, they know their stuff and have that 200% back guarantee if you find it cheaper anywhere else etc. Saved me the hassle of shopping around etc.

have you seen the terms and conditions? yes they will give you 200% of the difference but it comes in the form of vouchers that can only be used in d i d -

lets say you see something 10 euros cheaper ,they will give you 20 euros in vouchers ,but then you have to buy something off them at sticker price or shelf price -no saving and youve been suckered -you say saved you the hassle ? i say you fell for the advertiseing ,

hope you didnt fall for the extended warranty sales pitch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Found this in a review online:

"The unit lacks the A/V switching functions of the HTS8100, with its inputs instead restricted to a 3.5mm jack for an MP3 player and a USB port for playing JPEG, DiVX, MP3, WMA and WAV files. "

So it seems the answer to my earlier question is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bought the Soundbar today. It is pretty good! Havent checked a DVD yet but I will later on.

Advertisement