Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Poker Books?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am interested in buying a couple of poker related books to help advance my game which seems to have leveled off.

Can anyone recommend a book for each section i am looking to improve?

1) Maths of Poker
    2) Tournament poker (intermediate - advance level)
    3) Online Poker (cash-SnG-Tourneys)
    4) PL Omaha (beginners - intermediate)

any suggestion would be a great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭coillcam

1) Maths of Poker - Do you mean Bill Chen's book or just math's/EV/ICM in general? Chen's book is meant to be quite a tough read unless you have a decent educational background in maths from what I've heard.

2) Tournament poker (intermediate - advance level) Just Read Harrington on Holdem 1,2 and 3. Some of it is a little old but the fundamentals are a great introduction to poker for beginners/improvers

3) Online Poker (cash-SnG-Tourneys) haven't read anything here.

4) PL Omaha (beginners - intermediate) - I've only read the chapter in Super System 2 and Bob Ciaffone's book (Old and maybe discontinued or hard to find), they are good for a general grasp of the game for beginners imo.

Tb though op, your best bet is to get stuck in yourself from scratch again, post hands on forums, ask lots and lots of questions, I mean on everything. And read up on the theory sections of 2p2, boards, etc.... They are more thorough and up to date than a lot of the books - the games have hanged drastically since many were written. Plus you have the added benefit of being ask or to contact a poster a question on theory subjects. I doubt Daniel Negreanu or Doyle would be able to answer you questions.

Maybe invest in a training site or some coaching. Either way, the more interactive the experience, the more worthwhile it is. You will also have more fun and improve quicker, IME anyway.

The above is general advice I'd give to anyone I've met who is beginning to take the game a little more serious but when you say leveled off, how do you mean? What stakes are you playing? What is your background in poker? How long are you playing and what games do you mainly play? Holdem cash, SnG's etc.............?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Harrington's books are invaluable

OT: is South Fermanagh where the hicks come from or is that North Fermanagh? Do you carry around a bag of spanners at all times?

serious questions, please respond

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Breifne

1) Maths of Poker
    Killer Poker by the Numbers by Tony Guerrera is a great read, gets a little technical in places, and obviously is very mathematical, but a good read for anyone interested in the maths of poker.

Harrington on Holdem 1 & 2 are must reads for this, have read a few others, but can't recommend these enough, Volume 3 is a struggle and more of a workbook, but worth a look once finished the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

For maths, Bill Chen's book is regarded as the best by all the HSNL guys who've read it. For a new poker player I'd imagine it would be close to impossible to read/comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

The theory of poker by David Sklansky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

ianmc38 wrote: »
    For maths, Bill Chen's book is regarded as the best by all the HSNL guys who've read it. For a new poker player I'd imagine it would be close to impossible to read/comprehend.

What level would you want to be playing at that reading this would be worthwhile?
    Or if you understood the maths would it be worth reading no matter what level you're at?

What's in it?
    Probability, EV calculations, how much to bet in certain spots and why?
    All of the above and more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    What level would you want to be playing at that reading this would be worthwhile?
    Or if you understood the maths would it be worth reading no matter what level you're at?

What's in it?
    Probability, EV calculations, how much to bet in certain spots and why?
    All of the above and more?

The first ten chapters are worth it for anyone playing even a few months, although a LC level of statistics would help even for this part. After the first ten chapters, the focus switches to Game Theory optimal play (using simple poker-like games), where you'd need to understand the basics of Nash GT aspects such as equilibrium points, dominated strategies, etc. Tbh, this part would be worthless for anyone playing 200NL or less. Even at the higher levels, the content is (afaik) hard to apply to your game, but I think the principles are important to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I played my first tournament this week and got spanked.:D (all areas were incredibly weak)

Which would you consider a better book for a player with poor fundamentals who behaves like a mental player. The goal being 10 euro tournaments in the Fitz

or
    3) Online Poker (cash-SnG-Tourneys)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I need to buy me Harrington's books, heard so many good things, I'd love a book on Omaha too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

I'd love a book on Omaha too.

just buy 2 holdem books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

cuterob wrote: »
    just buy 2 holdem books

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Hot-Rod

Harrington's books are invaluable

OT: is South Fermanagh where the hicks come from or is that North Fermanagh? Do you carry around a bag of spanners at all times?

serious questions, please respond

I think i know what you are talking about here:D:D are you Noel Hayes???

If so no i am not one of the Fermanagh hicks you had a run in against in Drogheda over a year ago! but i do know the guys you are talking about :D I am far better than them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Hot-Rod

coillcam wrote: »
    1) Maths of Poker - Do you mean Bill Chen's book or just math's/EV/ICM in general? Chen's book is meant to be quite a tough read unless you have a decent educational background in maths from what I've heard.

2) Tournament poker (intermediate - advance level) Just Read Harrington on Holdem 1,2 and 3. Some of it is a little old but the fundamentals are a great introduction to poker for beginners/improvers

3) Online Poker (cash-SnG-Tourneys) haven't read anything here.

4) PL Omaha (beginners - intermediate) - I've only read the chapter in Super System 2 and Bob Ciaffone's book (Old and maybe discontinued or hard to find), they are good for a general grasp of the game for beginners imo.

Tb though op, your best bet is to get stuck in yourself from scratch again, post hands on forums, ask lots and lots of questions, I mean on everything. And read up on the theory sections of 2p2, boards, etc.... They are more thorough and up to date than a lot of the books - the games have hanged drastically since many were written. Plus you have the added benefit of being ask or to contact a poster a question on theory subjects. I doubt Daniel Negreanu or Doyle would be able to answer you questions.

Maybe invest in a training site or some coaching. Either way, the more interactive the experience, the more worthwhile it is. You will also have more fun and improve quicker, IME anyway.

The above is general advice I'd give to anyone I've met who is beginning to take the game a little more serious but when you say leveled off, how do you mean? What stakes are you playing? What is your background in poker? How long are you playing and what games do you mainly play? Holdem cash, SnG's etc.............?

Thanks coillcam for the advice much appreciated.

In repsonse to your questions highlighted, I feel my game has leveled off in regards to I think i have stopped improving still probably making some slight errors which very good player punish. I would have regarded myself as a tight player aggressive player over the past few years but I have loosen up alot lately over the past year, but not too loose. The reason for this would be from watching my m8's and chatting over hands and positions with them (they would be very good online players). I would manage to cash in alot of touney's live and online but find it hard to win or finish high up on a regular bases.

I have been playing for around 4 years now, but started playing online about a 18 months ago. I wouldnt play too much live poker maybe once every 2 weeks due to work, these game could range from 20 RB up to 300 FO depends what games are on in my area. I would be up overall playing these games but no big wins as such. After playing a range of games online, 6-seater SnG's, Heads-Up, Tourney's & cash, where if i am honest i was only was holding my own, I feel i am a better cash game player than anything else. Over the past 6 months I would prob spend 90% of my time playing 1/2 NL on stars where I am making decent money, building up a decent bankroll. I have played higher stakes a few times and won but dont feel comfortable with my game at them levels, have was just getting good hands compared to out playing opponents.

I have been trying a few Omaha SnG's lately lower levels and winning, won 7 out 10 games at 10$ 6 seaters, so I'm interested in developing this side of my game. I would understand the basics and can beat up on muppets at lower levels, but i wouldnt have the game yet to take it to higher levels. Tourney's is where i want to improve my game the most. Currently sick of my close mates rubbing there big wins online in my face :mad: so majoirty of my efforts are going to be concentrated in this area!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, anyone can probably benefit from the suggestion made here. Noone has prefected poker yet and anyone who thinks they have is an idiot! Best game in the world:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

OP mike cario or however u spell it is a great book for live poker. imo a master take on poker. ( dont play online as much it bores me) doyles super de duperdy is a load of shxxx i think, im sure there is million ans one waiting to dog me on that. the preface of that book should give u a great insight into the type of player he is.(read let me know. i wont give my opinion till u give, if u do)
    but best read is the game itself. play it play it to win and be prepared to lose thee odd night.

best a luck, and remember there is no such thing as bad beat just a bad read????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I've read alot of books on Hold'em and by far the best IMO is Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, followed by Little Blue Book. These books were unbelievable and really easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Secrets of Professional Pot-Limit omaha by Rolf Slotboom is a good book by Omaha standards.

He's a bit full of himself but goes through a lot of common scenarios and has a good section on playing with a short stack.

Hold em Poker for Advanced Players by David Slansky is IMO the best Hold em book out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭cardrooms

Harrington on Hold'em is great to start with and I would recommend all players read David Sklanskys Fundamental Theorm of Poker although it is quite a tough read.

Advertisement