Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth waiting for the rumoured "new" iPhone?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Basically, after having a mess around with the iPhone in the Apple store in London recently, I've been chomping at the bit to get my hands on one. Only thing is I've been reading all these rumours of a new version being announced in june/july. Would it be a better idea to wait for this? Assuming that there is an announcement in june/july, how long before this new version is actually released here in Ireland???

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

gloobag wrote: »
    Hey all,

Basically, after having a mess around with the iPhone in the Apple store in London recently, I've been chomping at the bit to get my hands on one. Only thing is I've been reading all these rumours of a new version being announced in june/july. Would it be a better idea to wait for this? Assuming that there is an announcement in june/july, how long before this new version is actually released here in Ireland???

Cheers
    Definately worth the wait, you'll get the new model for the same price in June (most likely) and I'm 99% positive it's going to have a lot of new hardware revisions too. Be patient, it's only two months. Keep an eye out here - http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/ - ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Unless they improve the battery life drastically and make the screen out of somethng a bit more durable that wont shatter or crack with a small drop i wouldnt bother.
    New screen and digitizers are 200+!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

You have nothing to lose by waiting. Except maybe your sanity if you're really impatient!:D

When they launched the 3G, the tariffs were the same price and the phone itself was cheaper with more features. I'd expect it to be the same this time, without the reduction in price of the phone. The new one will almost definitely have the ability to record video, which they're not likely to enable for the older models.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't see why not, since they're perfectly capable of it. I use cycorder on my jailbroken 3G and it works just fine.

Using Cycorder, the quality isn't bad but the framerate is appalling. Maybe Apple's implementation might be better, but I doubt it would be. The reason I don't think they'll enable it for older iPhones is because they made no mention of it in the 3.0 software preview and because the old iPods with colour screens could have been updated to play video. They didn't though; they released a new video iPod. I imagine they'll call this the iPhone video or something like that. Also, MMS isn't being made available for 2G iPhones, so Apple are starting to cut stuff out of the older models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't see them doing anything to improve any iPhone that's already been bought tbh - the way it works is to bring out something new to make people want to toss the old one in favour of the latest model.

Adding video to the old models would be bad business...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't see them doing anything to improve any iPhone that's already been bought tbh - the way it works is to bring out something new to make people want to toss the old one in favour of the latest model.

Adding video to the old models would be bad business...

The new version of the operating system, version 3, can be loaded onto the 1st and 2nd generation iPhones. This will give them new features, such as the stereo Bluetooth protocol (A2DP?) and many more.

The new iPhone is roumored to have new hardware, plus the new version of the operating system.

Personally, I would wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I am waiting. It has been a few weeks since i decided i had to have an iphone. Want it now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

D-Boy wrote: »
    Unless they improve the battery life drastically and make the screen out of somethng a bit more durable that wont shatter or crack with a small drop i wouldnt bother.
    New screen and digitizers are 200+!

I got mine replaced and posted back for €50 on ebay.

The battery needs to be improved as you lucky to get a full day out of it. Video and doubling of the storage / faster processors should be a sure but.

I'd wait until july and would also look around to see where you can get them not locked to any carrier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Def wait till June. Rumor is that it will be announced June 8th at the Apple WWDC keynote. It will ship almost straight away to avoid the problems they had when the announced the 3G model.

I have iPhone 3.0 Beta 4 installed and its a decent update of the OS and plenty of new and better features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

I really want an iphone now but reckon ill wait, would probably end up kicking myself if i missed out on new features. MMS is kind of essential also!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I really want an iphone now but reckon ill wait, would probably end up kicking myself if i missed out on new features. MMS is kind of essential also!

MMS is coming to all iPhones in the 3.0 update, but your right to wait.

Rew wrote: »
    MMS is coming to all iPhones in the 3.0 update, but your right to wait.

Not all iPhones, just the 3G ones. http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/mms-finally-comes-to-apples-iphone/

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

OP you should be aware that the last time the iPhone was upgraded, you could no longer buy the earlier version. So if you like the 3g and the new version costs €100 more, then you will be faced with buying the 3g off adverts / eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

I bought the 1st gen iphone 2 months before the 3g version was released. Carphone warehouse in london were selling it at that time for £180 with no contract!!

I'm sure similar offers will surface nearer the release date of the newer iPhone this time too. When I upgraded to the iPhone 3g, I managed to sell the 'old' iPhone for a healthy profit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davidobyrne

Philip

Do you have a link for this crowd?

Cheapest I have seen is around 90 to get repaired (or about 50 for parts - digitizer and screen - alone)
    I got mine replaced and posted back for €50 on ebay.

The battery needs to be improved as you lucky to get a full day out of it. Video and doubling of the storage / faster processors should be a sure but.

I'd wait until july and would also look around to see where you can get them not locked to any carrier.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd always buy the up-to-date model: otherwise you've a device that'll become end-of-life sooner.

Advertisement