Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinny IPod noise at tournaments

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Is it acceptable for the dealer to ask a player to turn down his IPod if it irritating another player?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Is it acceptable for the dealer to ask a player to turn down his IPod if it irritating another player?

It's fair nuff if your IPOD is heard by the whole table, which sometimes is the case. One guy in the Fitz once was doing himself untold hearing damage, I told him to turn the volume down or he'd lose his hearing. He took it as a threat of some sort and turned it down with a grunt and a grumpy face. I was only just advising him on hearing damage not threatening to slap him around the ears. I must improve my interpersonal skills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Someone listening to an ipod doesnt bother me unless they are slowing the game down by missing the action etc. Otherwise i couldnt care less.

On my last visit to the Sporting though, one thing that p1ssed me off more than anything was listening to some bloke beside me chewing chewing gum while smacking his lips together. I'd left my ipod at home and the noise of him tilted me so bad.

Would anyone turn around and tell him to stfu? Half the table were giving him the look but no-one said anything.

How someone can be so oblivious to the way they eat and chew is beyond me. Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

I often had to tell them to turn it down cos I could hear it! :eek: :D:D

All joking aside, it never cease to amaze me the amount of iPod/MP3 listeners at the poker table. Yuletired is correct - incorrect use of MP3 players can cause hearing damage. If you have your MP3 player turned up more than 60% of the volume listening to it constantly at that level for more than 60 minutes, you are doing a LOT of damage to your hearing. Considering how long these poker tournaments can go on for, they are at more risk than the average public transport commuter listening 2 hours a day.

Stick to 60-60 rule - 60% volume for 60 minutes then take a 10-15 minute break...

Tony - you have every right to tell the gum chewer they too loud. A slagging comment like: 'Wow! If that how loud you chew gum, I better make sure I'm not sitting near you at lunch/dinner time, else I'll be deafened!' will work wonders. Or a word in the TD ear to talk with the player in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

The real problem is the crappy ipod white headphones...

Getting something like Senn CX300 or better will solve the problem..

but was the OP I think it is quite acceptable.. I have asked in a joking manner a few times tapping them on the arm and asking him "are they headphones or speakers?" usually does the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol. nothing like tilting a table with ur death metal blaring. I'll even indulge in a bit of a singalong from time to time just to really piss em off.

Advertisement