Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting Website & Business Idea

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:29am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've thought up of a great website that I have no doubt will make money, I can't find anything out there that is doing the same as I am going to offer, I am worried however that once I set it up and become successful with it that there will be a lot of copycats cropping up, have I any way of protecting against this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

I'm no expert in this area, but unless this is your product you can only protect your company name and logo. For example I couldn't register Googlesearchengine.com because that would be a Google Trademark.

If this is a new product start buying up relevant domains. The more domains you have related to your product the less opportunity you leave to others. But once you launch this on the web it is open to competition.

Hope this helped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks notnem

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've thought up of a great website that I have no doubt will make money, I can't find anything out there that is doing the same as I am going to offer, I am worried however that once I set it up and become successful with it that there will be a lot of copycats cropping up, have I any way of protecting against this?

Don't worry about copycats - just be innovative and make sure you're an expert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't worry about copycats - just be innovative and make sure you're an expert.

I'm having problems becoming a recognized expert in the field at the moment, can't see a downside once I become recognized

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

Start a blog on your topic that will show you are an expert. Once you launch the buesiness site you can then leverage the blog for better rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi All,

There is absolutely no way of preventing someone else from taking your website idea and setting up their own version.

You could patent a concept such as Amazon's 'One Click' but if anyone was going to the bother of copying you it would take very little effort to come up with a variation on the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EORaghallaigh

alas it is difficult to get full protection... you can apply for a trademark for the company name/website if it is original and not listed in The Community Trademarks site: http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/QPLUS/databases/searchCTM.en.do

best you can do is to make sure you are super-prepared before launching as first-in advantage is very powerful on the web...

Advertisement