Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Independent - woeful standards

Options
  • 01-05-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I just read this letter in Thursday's (30 April) Irish Independent:
    Celtic Tiger Will Growl Once Again
    AS I have been living as an expat for the last 13 years, I have witnessed Ireland go through huge change from the days I was growing up.
    Having lived in the UK for the first eight, I, along with the vast majority of the island, looked at our younger brother, with all its style, panache and money with jealously. But alas the two neighbours have now taken very bad kicks to the groin.
    As the big brother cut taxes, and borrowed vast quantities of money, to try and limit the damage of this recession, we all looked aghast at the little extravagant kitten, which was once a tiger, raise taxes, cut public spending, and cut wages.
    Surely there has been a misprint on the BBC website? In the wake of the recent UK budget, this once dominant world power will again be looking at its smaller neighbour in years to come as Ireland will rise from these difficulties and grow from a kitten once again to a tiger, while its bigger neighbour takes in excess of 20 years to recover from ludicrous borrowing and public spending. Oh to be back in Ireland.
    RUAIRI HANLY GLASGOW, SCOTLAND

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/celtic-tiger-will-growl-once-again-1724849.html

Never before have I read such semi-literate, incoherent gibberish in a national newspaper. Can anyone actually remember if the Independent was ever a reputable newspaper with high standards, or was it always this bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's a letter from a member of the public, hardly an editorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

An editorial decision was made to publish it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It looks like something from Politics.ie, rather than a national newspaper. Seriously, I presume that just went into the paper by accident. An oversight, rather than an editorial decision. Even the Indo couldn't be that bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tarzan007

It's an appalling excuse for a newspaper. I remember the Sunday Independent published a letter from a recovered alcoholic complaining about some aspects of Alcoholics Anonymous. It won the letters to the Editor prize which was guess what - a bottle of whiskey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Tarzan007 wrote: »
    It's an appalling excuse for a newspaper. I remember the Sunday Independent published a letter from a recovered alcoholic complaining about some aspects of Alcoholics Anonymous. It won the letters to the Editor prize which was guess what - a bottle of whiskey :D

Thanks! I've just had a badly-needed belly-laugh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement