Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

am i taxed or untaxed and insured or uninsured

Options
  • 01-05-2009 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

hi all.
    following on from a post i had a few weeks ago i wonder if anybody can clarify the following especially our valiant ES personel. i went for my nct 2 weeks ago and i had paid online for the motor tax but i didnt have the disc in my possesion. i had the receipt from the motor tax online website though so my question is this was i taxed or not.
    if my local friendly garda stopped me what would the position be, as my view would be that i had paid for the tax and had a receipt to prove so i should be fine???
    by the same token what is the story with insurance if i pay online but dont have the insurance cert in my possesion.
    any insights or experience welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hi all.
    following on from a post i had a few weeks ago i wonder if anybody can clarify the following especially our valiant ES personel. i went for my nct 2 weeks ago and i had paid online for the motor tax but i didnt have the disc in my possesion. i had the receipt from the motor tax online website though so my question is this was i taxed or not.
    if my local friendly garda stopped me what would the position be, as my view would be that i had paid for the tax and had a receipt to prove so i should be fine???

There are 2 offences for motor tax. Not having tax and non display of said tax disc. You would be guilty of the 2nd and get a fine.
    by the same token what is the story with insurance if i pay online but dont have the insurance cert in my possesion.
    any insights or experience welcome

With insurance there is also a non display of disc offence but AFAIK once you can prove you have insurance it's not enforeced. If you where stopped late at night where the Garda can't contact your insurance company to verify that you're insured you could have your car taken off you and need to pay to retrieve it. But you'd want to meet a real jobs worth or act like an a**hole for this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You have 10 days to produce an insurance disc/certificate covering the date your were stopped. This period was intorduced to allow Insurers get papers to you following change of vehicles, drivers etc. It would be impossible to issue documents the minute alterations are made.

I have an opinion on the tax disc question, but it would only be an opinion, so I'll leave it to others

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can check the status of your tax disc here:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d728eee59ca95d404ba0f7aa22c353547a.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0LaNmRbxyTahmOe0?page=login

It is usually posted out fairly quickly unless there was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Garda does not need to check with insurance company normally they will have that information to hand, unless the policy had only commenced that day. Most Garda are reasonable people & would accept the receipt. They would however ask you to produce license, insurance & tax at a station if your choice within 10 days. If you failed to do that then you are looking at problems. In my opinion you would only get a non-display fine if the car was parked in public place and a Garda was issuing parking fines, etc. That is because they would not have had the chance to hear your story.
    Recently my wife was stopped with a one year out of date insurance disc, she was just asked to produce her license & cert at the station. (There us an irony behind the fact that she was the one with an out of date disc but I won't share here! ;))

Advertisement