Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan travel to France 2009

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

looking at Irish Ferries to France, outward 14th July, return 18th August for VW T4 Hi-Top camper plus two adults costing €551 including cabins. Had intended to look at "Landbridge", but now feel that direct sailing at €551 will be hard to beat. What do you think ?

Unfit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

That seems very reasonable, they sometimes throw in a free off peak return trip to the UK when you book the France trip. I hear they's reduced their fares quiet a bit this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

That seems a very good rate unfit,I'm going via UK this summer and returning cherbourg/roslare,its coming in at about the same as your quote

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Yes,

I thought it was good value alright. I followed the link on Irish Ferries Homepage about the Free ReturnTrip to UK and it seems to be included as well.

Might go ahead and book it this weekend. Cannot see any better deal coming along between now and July.

Well, we went ahead and booked our Summer ferry crossing to France today. I think it was the crappy weather today that finally made up my mind. Changed our original dates around a small bit but still managed to secure the €551 return fare whilst adding a "window" on our way out :cool:
    Preparation starts now. Few little jobs to do on the T4 (yet to be named) and of course get a few miles under my belt here around Ireland over the next 10 weeks.:D

Unfit

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Heading to France etc. shortly for a couple of months. It would be nice to have a thread on here for Motorhomers who are away to swap info with each other while on the road on places to camp etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Bonjour mes amis!!
    We are also going to France but we booked what we thought was a great price Dublin - Liverpool back at the motorhome show in the RDS. Now it seems we should have waited and did the IF route instead.
    Anyaway. Going out mid June for approx 3 weeks. Heading for Les Alps. anyone got ideas for good scenery/campsites for children areas?
    after that dont know where we will go. Might do Puy Du Fou for 2 days - hear it's a great park. I reckon we are going to have a brutal Summer here again this year so we are outta here!!
    Any other input welcome fellow campers!
    Au Revoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Puy Du Fou is great place to spend a few days only advice i would give is get the translator packs as you go in you will need them for the shows we watched the shows the first day and could not keep up with the french the night show is only on certain days and it is a must if you are there, but pre book it details will be on their website there is also a field along side the car park for camping you can also pay for water there (1 euro for x mins) at night you can walk around the farm yard and see them train the animals
    if the family is a bit older Pointiers is also very good same deal with campervans in a section of the car park also a lot of good sites nearby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

We're going over in a few weeks time - Rosslare to Roscoff... we feel we got a bargain €480 rtn (no cabin - just recliners for 5 of us)....

So if anyone is wanting to travel in the next few weeks, check out if Stena line still have that price available??

Chris

Hi Folks,

just returned on Friday night from Cahors/Lot Region (Dept. 46) after a short visit. Looking forward to returning there during extended Summer Hols with the T4.
    Looked in on a few Campsites while I was over there and pleased to say that the caravan and "Camping-Car" scene is booming as usual. Commercial sites are sprucing up their emplacements for the season ahead and many of the Municipal sites are well up and running.

Even the Aires in the little village where I stayed had two or three camper vans stopping over most nights that I passed by.

It was great to see the local campers stocking up their vans with essentials in the LeClerc carpark on Friday morning, in advance of the normal weekend getaway to their favourite destination.

It seems that there will be a number of Boards regulars heading off with their campers to France in 2009. It is good that we can share our preparation plans and the various hints and tips that are useful to know.

Who is going and when ? Anyone heading out around 20th July ?

Which Camping Guide do you prefer (or intend to use) ? :

Alan Rogers
    Michelin (Escapades en Camping Car)
    Caravan Club European Guide
    AA Caravan/Camping Guide
    Guide Officiel des Aires de Services Camping-car

Roll on Summer !!!!!

Unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Heading over July 7/8th for 7 weeks. No real plans (as always) My newest baby will only b 8 weeks so won't be going too far south cos of the heat.

As to guides, I use the MHF campsite database also France passion and All the aires book.

Toyin with the idea of the Netherlands and maybes Germany too,can't wait:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I'm heading off in the near future...

I'm using MHF for campsite and other info and have downloaded POI's for the Aires to stick in the Garmin...

Just going to cruise round, and play it by ear.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I'm heading off soon for 2 weeks.

A week in southern Brittany in a very nice campsite the kids like. Near beach too.
    Then 4-5 days camping outside of Paris with very convenient train into the city.
    Then 3 days in DisneyLand.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Heading off in Early July down south and Spain we always use the aires as no kiddies now so safe enough and not a lot of cash with only pension as income!!
    Booked in Late Jan with "Irish" Ferries and was charged €1014 which was a huge increase on 2008.
    Checked in late april and found prices had come down so rang them and let them have it with both barrels! result a reduction to €824 ,then this month checked again and got another €50 off but they charged a change fee of €30 so ended up paying €781 for 2 and a coachbuilt camper with the free trip to the U.K.
    We find the aires book the best and got the Spain and Portugal one as well so will see how it goes,have met some very nice people on our travels in Europe but seldom see any irish campers!! where do they go off the boat!!

I would be lost without the sat nav as all the supers /Lidl/Carrefour/Super U/Elf Discount are on it in Pois and are much cheaper for Diesel, only disadvantage is the missus gets lost in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi
    Bought a hymer in Dusseldorf a few weeks ago and flying over 2moro morning and back Roscoff - Rosslare next weekend.. Any ideas for nice campsites/aires en route - for 2 adults! Havent packed or looked at a map or anything yet so advice would be good! Prob loire valley/Brittany and hit a surfy beach at some stage!! Anything need to know re motorhoming in France, we are virgins!! Looking forward the sunshine and Vin!!

Well Folks,

the weather this weekend has certainly given us a taste for our French trips later in the Summer. Still undecided about which camping guide to purchase but will download the POIs of the Aires. Fitted external vents to the T4's fridge this weekend as I feel that the internal venting system just would'nt have worked sufficiently in hot weather. Safe driving and bon vacance to those who are heading off soon. Cant wait to get going myself.

Advertisement