Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da Blues on da BBC

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Blues Britannia: Can Blue Men Play The Whites? BBC 4
    Friday, May 1st, 2009 9:00pm to 10:30pm

Documentary telling the story of what happened to blues music on its journey from southern USA to the heart of British pop and rock culture. Structured in three parts, it focuses on the arrival of American blues in Britain in the late 50s, then charts the birth of the first British blues boom in the early 60s and ends with the next, more hardcore British blues boom of the mid-to-late 60s. Featuring archive performances and interviews with Keith Richards, Paul Jones, Bill Wyman and many others.

Blues at the BBC BBC 4
    Friday, May 1st, 2009 10:30pm to 11:30pm

Collection of performances by British and American blues artists on BBC programmes such as The Beat Room, A Whole Scene Going, The Old Grey Whistle Test and The Late Show. Includes the seminal slide guitar of Son House, the British R&B of The Kinks, the unmistakable electric sound of BB King and Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton and John Lee Hooker, as well as less-familiar material from the likes of Delaney and Bonnie, Freddie King and Long John Baldry

With more to follow Saturday and Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thanks Mike. A fascinating and slightly unlikely era that spawned so much in music terms. If its anything like the recent Jazz series I won't be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

ok, I know it is kind of obvious to blues fans and he is so well known that maybe he is not cool any more but (from watching that programme), I have to say that BB King's guitar technique/style is priceless. That fast tremelo vibrato he gets is dynamite. He is one kewl kat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just watched Blues Britannia: Can Blue Men Play The Whites, and while obviously familair for a large part some interesting new stuff heard and learnt esp the work put in by Chris Barber getting the US artists across the pond.

Tonights highlight is a concert by Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood at 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Anyone see the docu about Peter Green?

Absolutely tragic waste of talent - nearly crying watching it...

• Advertisement

I did (short thread on Rock/Metal forum).

Bump for the blues! On again tonight at 9 pm followed by Blues at the BBC.

Advertisement