Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst hangover wine

Options
  • 30-04-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Myself & the missus are partial to the odd bottle or two of an evening.
    We tend to shop in Aldi & haven't had much probs with the wines there.

One evening we went through a bottle & a half between us(2 diff brands).
    The next day the heads were pretty bad, but we put it down to tiredness/random bad bottle etc.
    However, the hangover lasted 3 whole days!!!
    I was convinced that I was coming down with a terrible disease!

A few weeks later,same thing happened again.
    We nailed down the culprit to an Aldi wine called Bushlander.
    Tis grand to drink, but the after effects are so not worth it!

We've nicknamed this stuff BUSHWHACKER, cos that's basically what it does to you.

We've vowed never to touch a drop of that stuff again & it's put me off all Australian wines for life!!

This stuff is a health hazard.

Anybody else got a 'bogeyman' wine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bushlander is what I'm bringing to dinner parties in future so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

Same here :D - that will teach them to drink my wine!! heehee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Buckfast!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Well, they're still sellin' the stuff.
    Amazing really!

Aresti is pretty bad for hangovers too, though, it's just a 'one day' affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Myself & the missus are partial to the odd bottle or two of an evening.
    We tend to shop in Aldi & haven't had much probs with the wines there.

One evening we went through a bottle & a half between us(2 diff brands).
    The next day the heads were pretty bad, but we put it down to tiredness/random bad bottle etc.
    However, the hangover lasted 3 whole days!!!
    I was convinced that I was coming down with a terrible disease!

A few weeks later,same thing happened again.
    We nailed down the culprit to an Aldi wine called Bushlander.
    Tis grand to drink, but the after effects are so not worth it!

We've nicknamed this stuff BUSHWHACKER, cos that's basically what it does to you.

We've vowed never to touch a drop of that stuff again & it's put me off all Australian wines for life!!

This stuff is a health hazard.

Anybody else got a 'bogeyman' wine?

Wine is not beer and it is supposed to be consumed with food (actually, 'enjoyed', but anyway); considering the different levels of alcool in wine and beer, getting an hangover with wine is very dangerous and you should be really careful; if you want to get hammered, just go to your local and get some pints of beer :-)

It would be great if there were a wine culture here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wine is not beer and it is supposed to be consumed with food (actually, 'enjoyed', but anyway);
    What makes it different from beer in this regard? Who's doing the supposing here?
    considering the different levels of alcool in wine and beer, getting an hangover with wine is very dangerous and you should be really careful;
    Again, why is wine different here? Ethanol is ethanol, and whether it's dissolved in grape juice or hop-flavoured barley juice makes no difference.
    if you want to get hammered, just go to your local and get some pints of beer
    May I politely suggest sir take a read of the charter before posting any more such recommendations.
    It would be great if there were a wine culture here.
    It'd be super if there was a beer culture too. People promoting any drink as the fast-track to intoxication as opposed to something to be enjoyed for its taste is not helpful to either cause.

Yeah, there's a diff attitude to wine drinking here alright.
    Have to stress that I would be a moderate drinker myself. Like a few glasses in front of the telly on weekends.
    Pubs are too dear these days & there's nobody else going much either.
    As for meals, the only thing I drink with them is milk!:eek::eek::eek:

I mentioned the above wine cos in all my years of drinking the stuff, I've never come across such an extreme reaction.
    I posted this thread cos I was curious to know did anybody else have an experiance like this with this wine or any other brand.

Hope this clarifies.:)

BeerNut wrote: »
    What makes it different from beer in this regard? Who's doing the supposing here?

From what I've seen so far (I can be wrong, I'm not Irish), usually beer is consumed without pairing it with food, unless you consider food crisps or nuts.
    Again, why is wine different here? Ethanol is ethanol, and whether it's dissolved in grape juice or hop-flavoured barley juice makes no difference.

Agreed, it's still the same substance; anyway as you can understand the 'density' is different, there is more alcool in a glass of wine than in a glass of beer; usually it is double but it depends on the wine.
    May I politely suggest sir take a read of the charter before posting any more such recommendations.

Done, sorry for my reccomendation.
    It'd be super if there was a beer culture too. People promoting any drink as the fast-track to intoxication as opposed to something to be enjoyed for its taste is not helpful to either cause.

I agree with you.

Yeah, there's a diff attitude to wine drinking here alright.
    Have to stress that I would be a moderate drinker myself. Like a few glasses in front of the telly on weekends.
    Pubs are too dear these days & there's nobody else going much either.
    As for meals, the only thing I drink with them is milk!:eek::eek::eek:

I mentioned the above wine cos in all my years of drinking the stuff, I've never come across such an extreme reaction.
    I posted this thread cos I was curious to know did anybody else have an experiance like this with this wine or any other brand.

Hope this clarifies.:)

Back to the topic :-) I think it depends on the wine you are drinking, I would not expect good wine at low prices (like the ones @Aldi), I admit that I'm not a wine expert but there are good recommendations on the Internet.

From what I've seen so far (I can be wrong, I'm not Irish), usually beer is consumed without pairing it with food, unless you consider food crisps or nuts.
    Perhaps. I don't know -- though there's a lot more to beer than what you might see in the on-trade. However, such observation is very different from how beer is "supposed" to be consumed. The three biggest brewers on the Irish market are spending a lot of money trying to get people to enjoy beer as an accompaniment to food -- so they, at least, suppose otherwise. Lots of beer drinkers do too. And every establishment where the food is limited to crisps and nuts will also sell wine ;)
    there is more alcool in a glass of wine than in a glass of beer; usually it is double but it depends on the wine.
    I've no idea where you're getting this from. Beer ABV varies, wine ABV varies. Serving measures vary. Even a large 25cl glass of Black Tower (10.5% ABV) will contain significantly less alcohol than a 33cl serving of BrewDog Tokyo (12% ABV), for example.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. I don't know -- though there's a lot more to beer than what you might see in the on-trade. However, such observation is very different from how beer is "supposed" to be consumed. The three biggest brewers on the Irish market are spending a lot of money trying to get people to enjoy beer as an accompaniment to food -- so they, at least, suppose otherwise. Lots of beer drinkers do too. And every establishment where the food is limited to crisps and nuts will also sell wine ;)

Ok, I don't have any statistics on this so I'm just talking from what I see, if you tell me that lots of beer drinkers drink beer along with food I believe you, but what I saw so far in pubs in Dublin is different. I really don't know if the beer consumption is higher in pubs than homes or viceversa.

I want to clarify that I have no intention in saying that wine is better than beer, I was just saying that pairing wine with food could reduce the hangover effects, obviously it all depends on how much wine you drink. I suppose it's the same with beer, food should reduce the alcohol absorption.

Oh, and thanks for the website I didn't know about it; I have to admit that in countries where the wine consumption is a lot higher than the beer one, there are a lot of prejudices about beer and the way it is consumed in Northern Europe, I don't agree with them but sometimes you forget about the fact that you disagree with something :P
    I've no idea where you're getting this from. Beer ABV varies, wine ABV varies. Serving measures vary. Even a large 25cl glass of Black Tower (10.5% ABV) will contain significantly less alcohol than a 33cl serving of BrewDog Tokyo (12% ABV), for example.

Yes I know, but you can agree with me that these are 'edge-cases', the majority of beer consumed in Ireland has different values, we should talk about the common case.

we should talk about the common case.
    I disagree. We'll never develop any kind of decent drinks culture if we just accept that the industrially-produced characterless wine and beer which most people drink, which is sold in most pubs, is the be-all and end-all.

There's a wealth of beer and wine goodness in Ireland if one cares to go out and find it. Unfounded generalisations about the nature of beer and wine and how they are "supposed" to be consumed only work to confirm the prejudices that wine = Two Oceans and beer = Heineken.

I disagree. We'll never develop any kind of decent drinks culture if we just accept that the industrially-produced characterless wine and beer which most people drink, which is sold in most pubs, is the be-all and end-all.

There's a wealth of beer and wine goodness in Ireland if one cares to go out and find it. Unfounded generalisations about the nature of beer and wine and how they are "supposed" to be consumed only work to confirm the prejudices that wine = Two Oceans and beer = Heineken.

I'm still convinced that in general a glass of wine has more alcohol than a glass of beer, you can talk of exceptions but it does not change the general case; and I still think that most people here drink beer without pairing with food. Probably you have different data but you have to produce them and they should be referred to the general case.

Then, I agree with you when it comes to drinking culture and so on, but that is a dfiferent discussion.

but it does not change the general case
    Except the "general case" is something you've made up and have no actual evidence for. You haven't even said how much liquid is in a "general case" glass of wine, which is kinda crucial to the whole argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

why are you surprised you had a bad bottle of wine from Aldi lol

muppet

Good wine doesn't give you hangovers same as good beer.

cheapness causes sickness when it comes to wine

Except the "general case" is something you've made up and have no actual evidence for. You haven't even said how much liquid is in a "general case" glass of wine, which is kinda crucial to the whole argument.

I said "there is more alcohol in a glass of wine than in a glass of beer", it's the same measuring unit.

I said "there is more alcohol in a glass of wine than in a glass of beer", it's the same measuring unit.
    Okay. I'll grant you that a pint of wine is likely to contain more alcohol than a pint of beer. I, er, just don't know what that proves in relation to drinking and hangovers.

Don't drink wine by the pint, perhaps? Duly noted.

Ah Hell!

This thread was hijacked by people who should know better.

I just want to know what wines to avoid in the future,

And the next 'person' to say I'm a 'muppet' for buying wine in Aldi, well.

They will get a good....

Let's put it this way, I can be very confrontational.....at times....when I 'm drinking lots of Aldi wine, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i usually find the mini bottles you get in pubs deadly... the wine in aldi is very nice ... tried the bushwhacker one alright and its pretty potent although maybe you just got a bottle that was dodgy....

Yeah, thought that at first, but when we were 'nailed' the second time, we knew there was a problem with that stuff.

BTW, a mate of mine has a 'bogeyman wine' from Lidl.
    He's not sure of the name, but remembers a pic of an elephant on the label.

He said that.

" One glass of that stuff is enough to knock an elephant"

Think it's been withdrawn since.........:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement