Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown rat

Options
  • 30-04-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Looked out my kitchen window today and saw a large rat sitting up the back of the garden.
    Thing is, the bugger looked cute, he was brown with a big white face, looked like a ****in hampster except for the big tail.
    I live beside fields and don't really want to destroy this guy if he has just wandered in. But I will if he decides to do an encore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

one thing i cant bear is rats....they seem to be getting more and more wide spread. id be putting down poison or traps straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Rat traps, fair enough if you really have to but please don't put down ANY poison. It is a horrible death and generally is not quick. :( Rats feel exactly the same pain you and I feel so please think carefuly before condemning it to an excrutiating 12 hours before it dies!
    Alternatively, you could buy a plug in rodent deterant. My brother lived in a house that was surrounded by rats and swears by them. ;) Woody's sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

yeah ok but id have to do something straight away..no denying they carry disease,s...which can cause excrutiating death to humane,s

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The rats here were getting brave too so we adopted a pair of not tame cats from a colony being relocated in Dun Laoighaire and they patrol the garden for me :) I don't know if they've caught any yet but they're a great rat deterrent and that's enough for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's not a good idea to have rats around your house or garden, especially if you have children. Although they are said to be really affectionate animals, they do carry diseases, such as Weils disease, which can, in extreme cases, prove fatal to humans. Try and get rid of it as quickly as possible. Tbh, I didn't find the rhodent deterrants satisfactory. Have you got a cat and/or dog, which could act as a really good and natural deterrant for him. Although, if more than one rat started to appear, I wouldn't be against using poison. The last thing you want is an infestation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Rat traps, fair enough if you really have to but please don't put down ANY poison. It is a horrible death and generally is not quick. :( Rats feel exactly the same pain you and I feel so please think carefuly before condemning it to an excrutiating 12 hours before it dies!
    Alternatively, you could buy a plug in rodent deterant. My brother lived in a house that was surrounded by rats and swears by them. ;) Woody's sell them.

Use a cage trap and release your furry guest somewhere else not too far from food or use a something guaranteed to dispatch him quickly.

Cats are probably just as bad to have around kids , carry lots of stuff

"Cat Scratch Disease (called Cat Scratch Fever in the UK) is caused by the bacteria Bartonella henselae (formerly called Rochalimaea henselae). Despite its British common name, it does not usually cause fever. The bacteria is carried by cat fleas. Cat Scratch Disease causes systemic illness and lymph node lesions and can be very serious in individuals with poor immune response."

Kid leaves furry toy outside , cat sleeps on it/plays with it etc

"Helicobacter pylori is also found in cats. This organism causes gastric ulcers in humans and the cat-human link caused panic among cat owners in the mid 1990s. It is found in the stomach. It has been suggested that it may be transmitted to humans if a cat walks across a food preparation area which is then not disinfected before food is next prepared on it. Simple hygiene, including keeping cats off of counters, is recommended though it isn't known what percentage of cats carry helicobacter."

Kid put food down on outdoor table ...

"Cats acquire Toxoplasma infection by ingesting infected prey. The organisms multiply in the wall of the small intestine and produce oocysts, which are then excreted in the faeces for 2-3 weeks. Most cats shed oocysts only once after infection and are then effectively immune. Within 5 days the shed oocysts become infectious to other animals and to humans. Infectious "sporulated oocysts" are highly resistant to environmental conditions and can survive in moist shaded soil or sand for many months. Some Toxoplasma organisms migrate from the cat's intestine to muscle and brain but usually remain dormant. The same migration can also occur in humans. Congenital infection (transmission from mother to foetus) occurs in sheep, goats, and humans.

Fuller Torrey (Stanley Medical Research Institute, Maryland, USA) found that schizophrenics were statistically more likely to be cat owners and to have latent toxoplasmosis

Congenital infection is of greatest concern in humans; especially in pregnant women who contract toxoplasmosis for the first time while they are pregnant. They may show no symptoms themselves, but the foetus may suffer birth defects including blindness and brain damage. Since most cat-owning women have already been exposed to toxoplasmosis (and hence do not become reinfected), this is uncommon which is why it causes headlines. Most infected babies are born healthy, but with dormant toxoplasmosis cysts, in later life these may lead to reduced vision and loss of sight. In the UK, the total number of babies with congenital toxoplasmosis is approximately ten (out of many thousands).

Feline Leukaemia (FeLV)

The potential transmissibility of FeLV was highlighted by a Cambridge researcher (Jarrett) in 1994 in a work related to cancer-causing viruses. In cats, FeLV causes leukaemia, lymphoma (a cancer), anaemia and immunosuppression (immune system failure). Most cats die due to immunosuppression. According to the Vet Record in 1989, in the UK, about 18% of sick cats and 5% of healthy cats are FeLV positive.

The idea of an infectious agent being the cause of a childhood leukaemia led researchers to wonder whether acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in children was caused by FeLV through close contact between children and cats. They had several reasons for suspicion. Firstly, FeLV is spread "horizontally" i.e. from cat to cat through close contact and interaction. Secondly FeLV can infect and multiply in cells from other species in laboratory conditions - in the laboratory, FeLV was able to multiply within human bone marrow cells. Thirdly there have been reported clusters of cancers or leukaemia in human patients and simultaneously in their pets.

FeLV is found in large quantities in saliva, blood and urine of infected cats. It is contagious among cats living in close contact or crowded conditions. It is spread from cat to cat through licking, scratching and biting. Cats may also lick, scratch or bite humans, exposing humans to the virus. Can the virus multiply in human tissue or cause outside of laboratory conditions?

Human bone marrow cells can be deliberately infected with FeLV in the laboratory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

bushy... wrote: »
    Use a cage trap and release your furry guest somewhere else not too far from food or use a something guaranteed to dispatch him quickly.

Cats are probably just as bad to have around kids , carry lots of stuff

"Cat Scratch Disease (called Cat Scratch Fever in the UK) is caused by the bacteria Bartonella henselae (formerly called Rochalimaea henselae). Despite its British common name, it does not usually cause fever. The bacteria is carried by cat fleas. Cat Scratch Disease causes systemic illness and lymph node lesions and can be very serious in individuals with poor immune response."

Kid leaves furry toy outside , cat sleeps on it/plays with it etc

"Helicobacter pylori is also found in cats. This organism causes gastric ulcers in humans and the cat-human link caused panic among cat owners in the mid 1990s. It is found in the stomach. It has been suggested that it may be transmitted to humans if a cat walks across a food preparation area which is then not disinfected before food is next prepared on it. Simple hygiene, including keeping cats off of counters, is recommended though it isn't known what percentage of cats carry helicobacter."

Kid put food down on outdoor table ...

"Cats acquire Toxoplasma infection by ingesting infected prey. The organisms multiply in the wall of the small intestine and produce oocysts, which are then excreted in the faeces for 2-3 weeks. Most cats shed oocysts only once after infection and are then effectively immune. Within 5 days the shed oocysts become infectious to other animals and to humans. Infectious "sporulated oocysts" are highly resistant to environmental conditions and can survive in moist shaded soil or sand for many months. Some Toxoplasma organisms migrate from the cat's intestine to muscle and brain but usually remain dormant. The same migration can also occur in humans. Congenital infection (transmission from mother to foetus) occurs in sheep, goats, and humans.

Fuller Torrey (Stanley Medical Research Institute, Maryland, USA) found that schizophrenics were statistically more likely to be cat owners and to have latent toxoplasmosis

Congenital infection is of greatest concern in humans; especially in pregnant women who contract toxoplasmosis for the first time while they are pregnant. They may show no symptoms themselves, but the foetus may suffer birth defects including blindness and brain damage. Since most cat-owning women have already been exposed to toxoplasmosis (and hence do not become reinfected), this is uncommon which is why it causes headlines. Most infected babies are born healthy, but with dormant toxoplasmosis cysts, in later life these may lead to reduced vision and loss of sight. In the UK, the total number of babies with congenital toxoplasmosis is approximately ten (out of many thousands).

Feline Leukaemia (FeLV)

The potential transmissibility of FeLV was highlighted by a Cambridge researcher (Jarrett) in 1994 in a work related to cancer-causing viruses. In cats, FeLV causes leukaemia, lymphoma (a cancer), anaemia and immunosuppression (immune system failure). Most cats die due to immunosuppression. According to the Vet Record in 1989, in the UK, about 18% of sick cats and 5% of healthy cats are FeLV positive.

The idea of an infectious agent being the cause of a childhood leukaemia led researchers to wonder whether acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in children was caused by FeLV through close contact between children and cats. They had several reasons for suspicion. Firstly, FeLV is spread "horizontally" i.e. from cat to cat through close contact and interaction. Secondly FeLV can infect and multiply in cells from other species in laboratory conditions - in the laboratory, FeLV was able to multiply within human bone marrow cells. Thirdly there have been reported clusters of cancers or leukaemia in human patients and simultaneously in their pets.

FeLV is found in large quantities in saliva, blood and urine of infected cats. It is contagious among cats living in close contact or crowded conditions. It is spread from cat to cat through licking, scratching and biting. Cats may also lick, scratch or bite humans, exposing humans to the virus. Can the virus multiply in human tissue or cause outside of laboratory conditions?

Human bone marrow cells can be deliberately infected with FeLV in the laboratory.

What is all this in aid of? The OP posted about Rats?? I have had cats all my life and have never caught anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Get rid of the infectious ridden b@st@rds. Cute or not they are a danger to your health. Put a s**t load of poision down but if you have animals put the poision in a pipe. Consider getting a dog and a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

What is all this in aid of? The OP posted about Rats?? I have had cats all my life and have never caught anything from them.

I second that! I grew up with all sorts of cats, came in as filthy strays before they got settled and in great condition etc.. Never got anything from them.

I would say to get the sloppy kids to wash their hands, regardless of what is in the garden!!! And stop putting food down on an outdoor table! The ideas that are out there about cats are just mind boggling...sorry, its meant to be a post about rats. (Which I have never seen, incidentally, despite living near rough/waste ground - thanks to the cats)

Besides, i read somewhere once that one of the dirtiest places on earth is the human mouth.

What is all this in aid of? The OP posted about Rats??.

At the very start of my reply : Use a cage trap and release your furry guest somewhere else not too far from food or use a something guaranteed to dispatch him quickly.

have had cats all my life and have never caught anything from them.

How are you so sure ?

"It has been estimated that 30 to 50 percent of the world's human population has been infected with Toxoplasma"

from : http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resources/brochure/toxo.html

just one of the first results from google search

toxoplasmosis in humans percentage -wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

At the very start of my reply : Use a cage trap and release your furry guest somewhere else not too far from food or use a something guaranteed to dispatch him quickly.

I was talking about the almost foot-long tangent you posted about how cats are going to make us all die, rather than the one individual line you posted that was actually on topic.

How are you so sure ?

"It has been estimated that 30 to 50 percent of the world's human population has been infected with Toxoplasma"

from : http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resources/brochure/toxo.html

just one of the first result from google search

http://www.google.com/searchhl=en&q=toxoplasmosis+in+humans+percentage++-wikipedia&btnG=Search

I'll take my chances. In the meantime, I think you spend far too much time Googling "ZOMG Cats are going to kill us all!!!!!!!!!!1111111eleven!!!!" ;)

OP, get rid of the rats. I have 5 cats and have never seen a rat or mouse on our premises. There's plenty of rescues looking to rehome outdoor "farm cats" that will do a great job keeping rodents away, and you can tame them and make pets of them with some time and patience too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Crazy Taxi wrote: »
    Thing is, the bugger looked cute, he was brown with a big white face, looked like a ****in hampster except for the big tail.

Sounds like a fancy rat to me. Do you know if any of your neighbours keep pet rats that could have escaped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

Brown with a white face? Could it be an escaped pet? Sounds more like a fancy rat than a brown rat to me

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

darrenon wrote: »
    yeah ok but id have to do something straight away..no denying they carry disease,s...which can cause excrutiating death to humane,s

rofl thats a bit much! its a rat, get over it. its also the summer so they will usually stay outside. poison can be eaten by cats/dogs/small children (which will cause excrutiating death). humane rat traps/ sound emitting deterrants you can get for outside are also good but to be honest rats dont like being around people too much so i wouldnt worry about it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

toxoplasmosis in humans percentage -wikipedia

Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources you can find.....

convert wrote: »
    ( just one of the first results from google search ) toxoplasmosis in humans percentage -wikipedia
    Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources you can find.....

I'm sure it is

<edit> the " - " in front of "wikipedia" makes it not return results from wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

First of all a rat with a brown face sounds like a pet that has escaped.

Secondly, rats do carry dangerous diseases so I would get rid of it one way or another. A friend of mine almost died from Weils disease thanks to the cute and furry feckers. He spent 3 weeks in hospital in a very bad state.

Thirdly, toxoplasmosis is a real threat to an unborn child, so that is true and pregnant women are advised to stay away from cats faeces and to cook all meat well to avoid infection. However, plenty of pregnant women have cats and use common sense to avoid getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 puppywuppy

<edit> the " - " in front of "wikipedia" makes it not return results from wikipedia

Im confused. that sentence doesnt make sense to me.....

and anyone who even makes reference to wikipedia should be severely punished.....

back on topic: get rid of the rat. it's trouble

puppywuppy wrote: »
    Im confused. that sentence doesnt make sense to me.....

and anyone who even makes reference to wikipedia should be severely punished.....

Omg here we go again :

The dash in front of "wikipedia" excludes it from search results

puppywuppy wrote: »
    back on topic: get rid of the rat. it's trouble

YES , catch it and release it somewhere or use a trap that will kill it instantly or if you are away from other houses shoot it dead.
    Basically use poison as a last resort , no need to torture it to death for 12 hours.

Advertisement