Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL: CELT vs CELTA

Options
  • 30-04-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in studying for a TEFl qualification but after reading the previous posts on the subject, I'm still not 100% sure should I be looking at a CELT or a CELTA qualification. I do not have a degree (I have done some open university courses that would count towards half a degree) and so it seems that even if I do get a qualification that I am not able to teach English in Ireland (apparently you have to sign a waiver agreeing to this when registering on a course). I would probably be looking to teach abroad anyways so in that respect would I be best advised to pursue a CELTA qualification that is recognised internationally (ie. not an 'Irish' one)?

Also, can anyone recommend the best places to study a TEFL course in Dublin? I've heard CES on Dame st. is pretty good, but they only have the CELT course.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I think you might be overestimating the value of the CELTA versus the CELT qualification. As far as I can tell, both are recognised equally abroad.

Read this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273849&highlight=TEFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If you're thinking about working abroad why don't you do the CELTA course abroad. There are CELTA courses offered in most countries and the fees are the same as in Ireland. The big advantage is that these programs will set you up with a job as soon as you finish the course. I know people who have done it in Spain, Czech Republic and in Vietnam and they all got cool jobs after completing the cert.

Advertisement