Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrick wood or corrig wood?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Driving by there the other day i seen it has a sign calling it Carrick Wood, although since i was a boy i always called it (and preseumed it was always known locally) as corrig wood on account of it being nothing more than a large rock with a forest on it. Even in primary school the teachers taught us this.

What has anybody else been calling it all these years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i always called it corrig wood too stevoman since i was a child goin up there to play and everyone i know calls it corrig wood as well, but for some feckin reason the sign up there says carrick wood, i never heard anybody calling it that so for me its still corrig wood

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

There could be a Carrick and Corrig Wood?? Google both names, and both actually have similarly decent results.

I always knew it as Corrig Wood, sure Corrig House (aka The Spa) was named after it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what the hell!?!?!?!

where did that come from?? :eek:

[Edited to remove offending content]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

what did port do on you

[Edited to remove offending content]
    Please let me know if ye want me to remove your posts since the post you were replying to has been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 muttingaa

Only joking lads:D..Lived in Port. for three years and loved the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Wtf happened to this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 muttingaa

I think the most accurate pronounciation would be Corrig Wood because it sounds like the Irish for rock ' carraig '.
    Carrick looks like an anglicised form of the name as in 'Carrick-on Suir/Shannon'.
    I'm not sure when Irish was last spoken in Port. but placenames often kept their old style way of being pronounced.
    There were Irish speakers in Roscommon up to the 1940s so there were still probably a handful in Laois up to the late 19th Century.
    And that is only a few generations back!

Advertisement