Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I QUIT! CAN I STILL GET MY MONEY?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

OK I know its the recession but I quit my job. I couldn't take any more pay cuts, job losses and additional work. it was getting worse everyday.

I WALKED OUT OF MY JOB WITHOUT GIVING ANY NOTICE. AM I STILL ENTITLED TO THE MONEY I EARNED UNTIL THE DAY I QUIT AND MY HOLIDAY PAY I WORKED UP? OR DO I NEED TO JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND LET THE COMPANY KEEP IT?

They didn't pay me and I'm wondering is it worth chasing it as I didnt leave on the best terms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

my understanding is that they are entitled to withhold any outstanding pay until the end of your notice period and or end of next pay cycle.
    so if you quit teh day after pay day then you would have to wait til teh next pay day to get what is owed to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Era wrote: »
    OK I know its the recession but I quit my job. I couldn't take any more pay cuts, job losses and additional work. it was getting worse everyday.

I WALKED OUT OF MY JOB WITHOUT GIVING ANY NOTICE. AM I STILL ENTITLED TO THE MONEY I EARNED UNTIL THE DAY I QUIT AND MY HOLIDAY PAY I WORKED UP? OR DO I NEED TO JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND LET THE COMPANY KEEP IT?

They didn't pay me and I'm wondering is it worth chasing it as I didnt leave on the best terms.

This happened me before so I wrote a formal letter to them requesting payment for the days I had worked. I finished the letter saying this was the first step of the legal process I was prepared to take to get the money owed to me.

I sent it through registered mail and had my money within a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They have to pay you whats due to you, BUT seeing as you walked out without notice they could sue you for any costs that they incurred as a result of the lack of notice, unlikely but possible.

you may also have shot yourself in the foot as regards welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Xcellor

In my opinion what you did was probably the most stupid thing you could have done. Most people are having to deal with sh*t on a daily basis and they stick it. If closure of the company was going to happen you may well have been entitled to redundancy tax free payments. Your ability to claim social welfare payments will be affected by your action and if I was your ex employer I'd drag my feet as long as legally possible before paying a penny to you.

I have a feeling people some people in Ireland are still living in cloud cookoo land believing that everything will be OK. OP you've not only walked out a job but you've screwed your chances of getting a decent reference as well. At least if you were let go this is a valid reason. You will get little sympathy off any future employer for your attitude...

Good luck. you are going to need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

You will have to go 9 weeks i'm sure it is without any welfare because of quitting.
    Thats a lot of money down the drain.
    Maybe you had your reasons, but they'd want to be good in these times. Work is next to impossible to find now as i know only too well :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Era

Thank You All for your advice apart from a certain person who's advice was of very little benefit to me and who decided to judge my situation without having a clue what's going on in my life. I am most certainly not “living in cloud cookoo land” and I have seen first hand, possibly before most people the effects of this recession. My first pay cut along with fellow employees being laid off was well over a year ago (October 2007) when you were probably still living on cloud cuckoo land oblivious to the recession, but who am I to judge? Further pay cuts and job losses constantly continued to occur and further pressure was put on me to do the work of all the people who were let go, my own work, staying back till 10pm most evenings, not knowing if I’d have a job the following month. I'm sorry if Most people are having to deal with sh*t on a daily basis and they stick it. I stuck the sh*t for 18 months and it was severely affecting my health.

Thankfully my ex employer is not as bitter as some people and with a few phone calls, emails and a letter, all of my money that I worked for is in now safely in my Bank account. I am also very grateful that I was not looking for sympathy off my future employer for my attitude. I have now secured a new job with more money, less stress, less long hours and some security. Although I am very aware that times are tough, even so I was not willing to be taken for a ride, used then spit out as I felt was happening with my previous employer.

So in some peoples opinion; the most stupid thing someone has done, to me has been one of the best things I have ever done. Yes I took a risk and in my opinion it payed off. In relation to not getting a decent reference, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Once Again Thank You all for helping me with my question, which was:
    AM I STILL ENTITLED TO THE MONEY I EARNED UNTIL THE DAY I QUIT AND MY HOLIDAY PAY I WORKED UP? OR DO I NEED TO JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND LET THE COMPANY KEEP IT?

For those of you who decided to give their advice on other aspects of my life, thanks but no thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Era

Stevecw,
    Best of luck with the job hunt, don't give up hope. There are jobs out there its just much more difficult to get them. I hope something comes up for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes you are entitled to your pay, and your holiday pay up until the day you quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I didn't get a pay cut like you but I do know what it's like when your teammates are let go and then you have to stay until 10pm some nights trying to keep up. With a paycut, it might be me starting this thread in a few months. :pac:

So, good luck to you sir! May you get a new and better job soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Shelflife wrote: »
    you may also have shot yourself in the foot as regards welfare payments.

Come on now, This is Ireland we're talking about - it's easy to just quit your job and then live the life of riley on 200 quid a week with your rent paid by the state! I know several people who quit jobs and signed on the dole really easily, even when they admitted they had quit their jobs!

Not like here in the UK where you will face a 24 week sanction if you walk out of a job before you can get the dole.

OP - you are of course entitled to pay for the days you've worked, and holidays you'd built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's also worth noting that if they do decide to take legal action against you (unlikely), they are still required to pay you what you're owed, in full and on time. They cannot withhold or deduct your wages for breaking your contract.

Ive always found it bizarre that an employee can just upsticks and leave because they are not happy , yet an employer who isnt happy with their employee has to tiptoe through a legal and procedural minefield to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Shelflife wrote: »
    Ive always found it bizarre that an employee can just upsticks and leave because they are not happy , yet an employer who isnt happy with their employee has to tiptoe through a legal and procedural minefield to get rid of them.

i agree but there are ways and means all fully legal though, gladly I have never used them.

Also it a liberal society we live in so people must be given the benefit of the doubt first and given a second chance.

I know Gerry but the legal route is very slow and the burden of proof is very high, we had a girl with us who was a serious stirrer, constantly bit ching and never happy. Turned some of the other staff against us harassed suppliers , lied and was very generous to her friends and herself.

it took us 18mths to sort it out legally , yet if she wanted to go she could just not arrive in on a morning. its very unfair that you should hate going to work in your own business. it wasnt just us as we lost at least 2 other staff that couldnt work with her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi....I quit my job aswell last week for personal reasons and not only that but there is so much crap you can put up with. If you have a good reason you wont have to wait 9 weeks for social.

Advertisement