Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eastern france/germany/switzerland

Options
  • 30-04-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Heading to continent this july/august for 3 weeks. going through england so arriving in calais and looking for suggestions for that side of france and hopefully into germanyand switzerland without a huge amount of driving. Have done west coast of france a few times but looking to try these areas. Any recommendations for quiet sites within walking distance of towns/villages/restaurants welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hi,
    can't think of any sites off the top of my head but If you're not a member of The Caravan Club I'd recommend you join for a couple of reasons, the first being they produce a book of sites in Europe every year which have all been tried and tested by members, they offer discounts on ferry sailings to members and great travel insurance and roadside assistance through Green flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I stayed at a great site near Chamonix. I'll try to find the name.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AutumnComission

Hiya! I too would alctually be interested in sourcing places along that route but my partner and I intend on driving & camping. We too plan to arrive in Callais, we were interested in going to Paris for a few nights and then onto Montreux in Switz where the Jazz fest is held annually - he is a keen musician and would love to visit there. We were actually thinking about driving down Italy and taking the Ferry over to Sardinia for a week. Has anyone been there? Any thoughts on the place? The thing is, we were thinking of taking off in the next few weeks. Would anyone be able to advise as to the weather for camping this time of year? Any special campsites reccommended?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hi guy's,
    For Paris, Camping International @ Maisons-Laffitte (D308) is a good site,it's ten minutes walk from the station,which will whisk you to Paris centre in about twenty minutes.It's on Rue Johnson at the junction of Chemin de la Digue. Within Walking distance you can find a of range of shops and restaurants,oh and it's on an island in the Seine,best stop for Paris,tested for many years and cheap.Have a good trip :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We've always visited the west coast of France untill last year we visited Germany and Bavaria. With the assistance of Peasant we put together a list of places to see and we had a fantastic trip.
    We crossed Roslare to Cherburg trip last year and down through Paris and on to the Black Forest. Covered approx 2500Kms in total and got to see a good bit of Southern Germany. Stayed at Lake Constance in Lindau and were very close to Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

About 40km south of Paris in a 3 star site called Village Parisien Le Parc des Roches. Nice site with a nice wee restraurant etc. 40min train ride into Paris. On a previous trip we have stayed in a site called Caravaning des 4 vents which is south east Paris near Disney, This site is handy if you're continuing further towards Germany.

In Germany we stopped a few nights near Freiburg in a site called Camping Kirchzarten very busy site next to a nice town, excellent pool and facilities, choice of bars & restaurants and free train ride into the City of Freiburg. A few miles up the mountains and you can take the cablecars for some breath taking scenery. Warning: some of the hills and bends can be heart stopping in a motorhome:D

Next down to Lake Constance to a site called Gitzenweiler Hof Another excellent site with lots of activities, nice bar and choice of restaurants. Short bus ride into Lindau which is a lovely place. Here you can hire a boat or take a ferry over to Austria or Switzerland.

Near Newswanstein we stayed in Camping Brunnen, Beautiful lakeside resort with great facilities. Newswanstein castle is a must see if you're anywhere near by.

Back up to Munich to a very basic municipal site called Campingplatz Obermenzing, cost arounf €12/night. A short bus & train ride takes you into the city which is well worth a visit. Attractions worth seeing there is the BMW museum and the Deutsches museum

During peak season I'd recommend booking a few days in advance as the German camp sites get very busy. We take the AlanRogers guide book with us which hasn't failed us yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement