Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berry Bros & Rudd to close

Options
  • 30-04-2009 3:25pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the recession (and greedy commercial landlords, I don't doubt) is taking its toll on the high-end wine market. Berry Bros & Rudd on Harry Street in Dublin will be closing up shop at the end of July.

Link.

I'm sure the old Weights and Measures Office will make a lovely Starbucks :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No, they're down 77% profits :D and closing stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

as ernie whalley mentioned in the article, people referred to it as being a library of wine. If what they've got doesn't sell that's their own fault. Putting yourself up on a pedestal to sell the best of the best wont work if the market isn't there for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Y'know, it's the kind of building Wetherspoons'd snap up if they operated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Y'know, it's the kind of building Wetherspoons'd snap up if they operated here.

A Wetherspoons across from The Westbury Hotel, that would be interesting mix of people;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

It'll be a loss, for sure. I know a couple of people working there - join the club, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'll have to make a trip up from Cork to see it before it shuts.
    12 staff and the rent must have made it very hard to turn a profit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Bit of a sale on there now I believe, the excellent Cloudy Bay wines for €25 a pop for example. Still expensive, but an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The father in law has some voucher still, must remind him to use them before they are gone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Good ordinary claret was great for €8.99, but to be honest the loss of BBR makes little difference as there are a number of other good wine shops, most of which are not as expensive. Even supermarkets have good wines these days, and usually for cheaper.

Advertisement