Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Gameboy restoration

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently aquired an original Gameboy, happy days.. unfortunatley It's 'yellowed' really badly.
    Anybody know any tricks to restore it back to it's original White appearance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I know that there isn't much you can do with a SNES. Whatever plastic Nintendo used wasn't of a very high quality and tended to discolour badly. Maybe it's just dirt though. A dab of white spirits couldn't do any harm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A dab of white spirits couldn't do any harm.

Unless it dissolves the plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I doubt it'd do that. Sure even if it does it's not like we're talking about a Neo Geo here. There are a 110 Gameboy and Gameboy Colors in the world and nobody wants them anymore. They're cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interesting article about the discolouration here ->

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

How about some Cif.... I remember using it on my Snes years ago and it done the trick. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

I doubt it'd do that. Sure even if it does it's not like we're talking about a Neo Geo here. There are a 110 Gameboy and Gameboy Colors in the world and nobody wants them anymore. They're cheap as chips.

i think you were meant to say million, cause 110 of something there aint alot of.

But they can be picked up for like 2 euro, ya know i got mine for about that boxed. with tetris, perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Ok, thanks for the responce.
    The screen is also a bit tatty so I've ordered a replacement of Ebay!
    Maybe I'll put up some before/after photos...
    I know I can probably get one in better condition for next to nothing but I think It deserves a new lease of life :)
    Here's to another 20 years!

Advertisement