Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find who owns private domain?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

can anuone tell me if its possible to find out who owns a domain if its been privately regd by domainbyproxy?? found the site through adwords but theres no contact details at all on teh site and the whois shows only domainsbyproxy, can either google (since they must have an adwords acc) or domainsbyproxy give me the contact details, the host is also in the whois, so maybe they could too or is it illegal for them to give out the details? domain looks like its under construction so maybe theyll add contact details later but maybe not, if not is there any way i can see who owns it?

chhers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

http://products.secureserver.net/products/domains_by_proxy/dbp_faq.htm#correspondence

Specifically this question, "What does Domains By Proxy do with correspondence addressed to my domain name?"

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

thanks ill try that

if that doenst work and out of curiosity, is it possible to find out who owns a domain through the host information, or through google adword links or codes ect.?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

thanks ill try that

if that doenst work and out of curiosity, is it possible to find out who owns a domain through the host information, or through google adword links or codes ect.?
    It can be difficult but not impossible. If the domain is a com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia/ie then www.hosterstats.com will have its hosting history. It is also possible that www.domaintools.com will have a whois record for the domain up to the whois data went private but I think that section might be subscription only. There is also the www.archive.org site which may have a copy of the old website. What may have happened is that the domain was dropped and reregistered and was parked.

Regards...jmcc

thanks

so as long as domain has been private from the first time it was registered, its pretty much impossible to find out who the owner is? i guess itd be illegal for google/hosting company to give out your details? or is there still other ways to find out through the redirect links and all that stuff with adword accounts that they might show up another site under same ownership thats NOT private and the two sites are linked to same owner for example:eek:

how private is private?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

how private is private?
    Privacy is a function of how much people pay for it and how much people pay to defeat it. Using comparative analysis (finding identification data in the webpages and then comparing it with other sites) is possible if you have the data. If the site is on shared hosting such things can be difficult but if it is on a dedicated server with other sites owned by the same registant then it might be possible.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

cheers

Advertisement