Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I could pick up jointers mate Dub northside

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could pick up jointers mate Dub northside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Not sure I have the term right ; it's a very strong glue used to bond wood together where no fixings are being used just joints and glue, told it was called "Jointer's Mate". Rang woodworkers terenure, they heard of it but dont stock it. Chadwicks and Buckley's dont have it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Did you try Goodwins in Blanchardstown? I have to say though that normal wood resin glue ( evostick etc... ) is more than strong enough to use without fixings. In fact most good joinery will not have any fixings and PVA glue has been used for decades.

For example the joint between a rear chair leg and seat will, on a hand made ( i.e. not mass produced ) version have a mortice and tenon joint that is secured with only glue. This joint has a fairly hefty amount of stress placed on it when Uncle freddy the 22 stone ex rugby player comes to dinner and afterwards hooks his thumb in his belt loop and rocks back and tilts the chair up onto it's back legs while he sips his after dinner espresso.

Unless the joint is under enormous load, in which case you should be using an appropriate joint and fixings if neccessary, the wood will fail before the glue joint as long as the glue joint is a clean and well made joint.

What are you planning to use it for?

Have a kitchen table , not brill quality, the legs are secured to the top with butterfly nuts and bolts. No matter how much I tighten em, the table flexes where it meets the legs. Planning to turn it upside down, remove legs, apply wood glue or Jointer's mate, carefully put in some hidden screws, and retighten butterfly nuts and bolts. A mate of mine suggested Jointer's mate may be stronger than wood glue

I would be very very surprised if wood glue was not sufficent for that job. I have made desktops 3 ft wide edge jointed together with nothing but wood glue and they are rock solid. At the very least you could try wood glue while trying to find the Jointers mate ( which i can almost gaurantee you that when you find it and look at the bottle you will find out that it is aliphatic resin glue or poly vinyl acetate) and if it fails then just clean up the old glue, apply your jointers mate and screw it all back together.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you do find it though and if it is that good, if it is then i'll be getting some myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

"Jointers Mate" didn't sound right to me, so I Googled "Joiners Mate". Looks like this is what you're looking for ...

http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=117&pr=gmat

• Advertisement

Cheers Folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could also try Gorilla Glue, which is polyurethane. This has gap filling qualities and I've found it very good for certain application and will definitely not budge...Uncle Freddy or not!

Looks like interesting stuff. When you find some could you let me know how much it was?

McQuillans stock gorilla glue, in case you can't find it in the builders merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I can also vouch for gorilla glue,very strong stuff.I find it very messy though,it expands alot and is a b"tch to clean off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

gorilla glue is magical stuff! just made an mdf arch 11 feet wide and had to join mdf sheets. i put gorilla glue on both pieces and it held!! no need for dowels or biscuits even!

• Advertisement

Who stocks Guirella Glue in Dublin, please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Mcquillans.They only stock the little bottle though,it's about €10 or 12.Probably better off with the little one,if you don't use it all seal it well and clean the spout,because if it goes hard there's no saving it. Remember to wet the surface before using,it helps the bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Ennisa told you;) They're in Blanchardstown and Capel St

Advertisement