Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recovery discs issue

Options
  • 29-04-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi, i have a problem with my fujitsu siemens laptop, iv had it for three years and not a problem with it. but then two weeks ago i uninstalled kaspersky, so that i could install the new 2009 kaspersky (didnt know i could install it without removing the previosu version, should have read the instructions first) but anyway, installed the new kaspersky and all went fine until i tryed to enable the protection...but it wouldnt let me, so after numerous un-installs and re-installs, i came to the conclusion that i have a virus...so i went to pc world to see if they could wipe the laptop but told me it would cost about €200, which i cant afford and also the laptop is old and prob not worth a tenner. but its still a great laptop (well would be) if it wasnt for the virus. but they told me to use the recovery discs to wipe it, problem is i cant find the discs as it was three years ago and iv since moved house. so i was jus wondering is there anyway of wiping it without these discs, or anywhere that these discs can be bought?
    any help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

You'd have to go out an buy the operating system your using, assume it's Xp, could always look on ebay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Sounds more like a software clash than a virus.

dont know your level of expertise(mine is limited)

have you any other anti malware software installed?

I would try disabling it or deleting it(especiouly if its free,can always be downloaded again)

might if all else fails it be worth your while to abandon kapersky altogethar?

AVG free edition is very popular,as is Avira anti viral personal and others at download.com,so is Adaware se personal.

the google pack offers spyware doctor free.

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Patchmcm

I)Have you tried to restore your system to a date prior to uninstalling Kaspersky.
    2) Did you uninstall via Add and Remove Programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

Patchmcm wrote: »
    I)Have you tried to restore your system to a date prior to uninstalling Kaspersky.
    2) Did you uninstall via Add and Remove Programmes.

Try the above (1) I say 90% Kaspersky is the sole problem I had this problem where people just removed after demo period on new machine,had to reinstall system xp and vista,If 1 above does not help get youre hands on a copy of xp and the old number of lic on youre laptop should do for that, try repair first if you get that option during the install startup,if not use the xp disc to wipe drive during insall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

also if you still have youre pc with kaspersky uninstall and you can get it to windows open regdit ,start run ,regedit.open it up go to edit FIND.type kaspersky in the box search and delete any referance it finds untill it says there s no more restart pc and I would prefer another free antivirus avg or avast also buy one copy of pc tools or utilites mag and for less than a tenner youll have all the tools you could want even down to wiping youre drive but remember READ THE Instructions on any you use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement